DC area up to Maine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Hi, all,

I'm just starting summer trip planning and one I'm considering is staying with friends near Front Royal, VA, then heading up toward Tenant's Harbor Maine to meet and stay with my mom (who doesn't live there but visits a place up there every summer).  As a general rule, we don't like to be on the road more than about 5 hours in any given day and prefer to stay in state or national parks (or other public campgrounds, e.g. nat'l forest, county).  We're in a tag-along TT ~28' and like to have electric and water hookups, don't really care about sewer (as long as there's somewhere to dump).  We're basically hikers and fishers and don't for now have a boat but would rent one occasionally if available (not essential). 

So, from starting in Front Royal (private 'campground' i.e. our friends' place), was considering going straight up 81 to near Binghamton, NY to Chenango Valley SP and then get a little stymied.  If we could find a safe place to leave it (e.g. storage facility), we'd consider leaving the TT there and heading to ME, but that's a bit of a haul.  A camping place between would be nice, any recommendations?  I'm also open to changing our route. 

Any suggestions much appreciated!

-- bogart

First, my preferred route would be to take I84 (via I380) near Scranton to I90 to I495 (around Boston) to I95 north.

If you go to Binghamton, the take I88 to I90, to I87 north to exit 6 east on NY rt 7 to rt 279 to US rt 7 south to VT9 east to I89 south (really east at this point) to I93 north to I393 to 202 then rt 4 to I85 north. This is doable, but quite slow. There are many alternatives but all of none of them are very direct. I've driven just about all of them. One alternative is to take rt 101 from Keene, NH to the coast and I95 north.

ken
former Vermont resident

The state of CT has a rest area, east bound right at exit 2 on I84 (NY/CT state line) that is great. Separate all night parking for RVs, (away from trucks) with a dump station. We have stayed there at least 7 times on the way to/from Maine and the Maritimes. From the rest area to Portland Maine is an easy one day drive.

We go from the rest area to Hartford then Sturbridge, one exit east on Mass pike to 290 to 495 to 95 to Maine. Easy drive and hardly ever heavy traffic.

CT actually has another great rest area with separate parking on I-91 NB, just north of where I-691 comes in from I-84. Depending on the time of day this can be a better route through Hartford area (ie I-691 to I 91 north back to I-84 east.

ken

Thanks, Ken and Chet.  I'm now looking at the I84 route.  Maine dates have just been figured out (my mom's part) so we're trying to figure out whether this is do-able or not.  One thing I think I forgot to mention is that one of the travelers is our preschooler so while the rest stop options sound otherwise lovely I'm not sure they'd work for us ... the issue isn't so much where to sleep safely as getting to locations where we can allow the little one to run off his vast amount of energy (recent quote from him when I commented on his energy, "Mama, I will hug you and give you my energy and then you will go KABOOM!"  Um, yes, yes, I think I will!) and breaking up the trip.  But it is good to know such options exist even if we don't use them on this trip; thanks for your help.

-- bogart

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom