2011 QUARTZSITE Rally - Daily Activity Reports/Photos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was only four of us around the fire ring last night:  Paul and Ann and Shirley and I.  The wind blew hard all day but died down just after dark.  So we burned all the remaining wood and cardboard boxes and enjoyed a nice fire.  Paul and Ann have decided to stay at the RV Forum rally site for another 14 days.  We got going about 9:30 AM today and were 6th in line to dump across the street.  Smoky and Sharon were fixin' to leave shortly after us.

Some folks asked where we could possibly go on vacation FROM Grand Canyon.  Flat spot of course!

Bill,

From some perspectives, Quartzsite doesn't look so flat.  ;D

Attachments

• 2011 Quartzsite RV Forum Rally Site.jpg
    2011 Quartzsite RV Forum Rally Site.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 47
Thought I'd update you Death Valley folks about going the other direction. We left Sunday, of course, and stopped in Benson, AZ, expecting to move on the next morning. Finally being able to check weather caused us to change our plans and to spend an additional night in Benson.  Butterfield RV Park is a nice park, with an observatory and a ham shack, and sits within walking distance of all kinds of shopping, so we naturally took advantage to stock up on supplies that were running low.

So we finally decided to depart Tuesday morning, since everything looked good on the weather channels and web data we found. 'Twas a tad misleading, however, as although it was gorgeous going across I-10 to Deming, we could see a bit of storminess ahead before we got to Hatch, and when we got just a bit north of T or C, ran into snow, and turned around going back to Elephant Butte, where we found the Cedar Cove RV Park, a very nice place to be stuck for a couple of days. They're actually a fine community, and invited us to their happy hour at 5:00, where we met a lot of nice folks to sit out the strong winds, snow and deep freeze with. We'd only been there a short time when the TV in the office said that I-25 was closed from Socorro to T or C. A short time later, it was closed from Belen to Las Cruces, so we spent two nights there, playing "Golf" with the crowd. The second nite management put on a chili feed. Low the second night (Wed nite) was -6, according to my thermometer.

All in all, we lucked out, given the storm, having a pretty good time and good company. We departed Cedar Cove this morning and now sit in a KOA at Colorado City, where it is snowing lightly. With luck (not much of that around), we may get going in the morning -- we've heard sunny tomorrow, but also heard something about snow.

Hope y'all are having a better go of it.

Wow ,
Larry and  Mary Ann thanks for the update.  We sure planned our Death Valley Rally at a peak of perfect weather.  A tad cold at night and if the wind blows, just plain cold.  But beautiful scenery .  Glad to meet you in Q and hope to see you back.

Betty

I promised the Death Valley Rally group perfect weather and it's been pretty darn close. Sorry that the rest of the country is getting dumped on by bad weather. Heard that back home in SW Colorado they were looking for a high of 8...brrrrr.

Wendy

Would a photo album of Q be complete without including the Q experience?  This was our first time in the 'line'.  One of the events we heard about the Q experience from Fred and daisy, all those years ago in Connecticut.  It all sounded so exotic.  We have now spent an entire winter in Q, (with full hookups), and a week boondocking with the framily.  Our experience has now been completed with our trip to dump.  Looking forward to adding more chapters.

Attachments

• IMG_5053.jpg
    IMG_5053.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 49
PancakeBill said:
Would a photo album of Q be complete without including the Q experience?  This was our first time in the 'line'. 

There's a certain acquired panache after having experienced (survived?) the lineup to the dump at Qz.  It's best done as the sun rises, it's best done with Pat and Jim Dick (or other forum kindred spirits of your choice and timing) chatting on the cell phone or walkie talkies "sharing the joy (?)", best done relaxing with a cup of coffee in hand, secure in your easy chair while lined up.  Lots of years later I realized that's what special memories are made of.  ;D  (OK, I realized it at the time, too!)

Margi

Enduring the dump line is good reason to get your spouse to use less water at QZ. ;D

Wendy, great point!  Jeff, we were still OK, getting low, but getting ready for driving following day.  Margi, made the best of it, Jolene did the drive ahead, I walked around and took some photos, then had a sandwich. 

Maybe next year we will just retire on the desert for the winter.

PancakeBill said:
Margi, made the best of it, Jolene did the drive ahead, I walked around and took some photos, then had a sandwich.

Proud of you!  That's the spirit!  :) 

Maybe next year we will just retire on the desert for the winter.

Umm.... If boondocking, better check with Daisy for good advice on that plan. (Don't listen to Fred.)  ;D

Margi

Back
Top Bottom