RV Forum rally suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You SoCal folks think anything below 80F is cold :)

Not true.  San Franciscans start dropping like flies when the temps get into the high 70s.    I am a coastal Angele?o, we do the same thing.  Now San Fernandians and Sam Berdooyans get chillblaines when the temps sink into the 70s and Borrego Springers think 95 is a cold snap.    It all depends on altitude and distance from the Japan Current.

SF ain't SoCal :)  Of course, in WI we wore shorts until the temp dropped below 0.

SF can be 30+ degrees below the rest of the Bay area and 40 degrees below the San Joaquin Valley. We wear sweaters and jackets when we visit SF  ;D

Ref: Deadhorse State Park in Cottonwood.

The "old" campground of about 45 sites and was rehabed with new fifty amp power (they also have water).
Two of the new campground loops have fifty amp electric. Dump available. The new campground loops (with power and water) have a total of 65 sites. At that time of year availability should be a problem. (the thrid new campground loop is for tents)

Also possible is one of my favorite campgrounds, Catalina State Park north of Tucson on the west side of the Catalina Mt's. Here the "old campground had 24 dry camp site and 24 electric/water sites (50amp). The new campground has over 75 fifty amp electric/water sites. Catalina also has two group camping areas but they are dry camp. Catyalina has great hiking trails into the foothills (and up the mountains) for those so inclined. It is also very quiet and secluded at the campgrounds, but just north of the Oracle valley shopping area & restaurants.

That said I would be interested in southern california wine country for something different.

ken

Ken,

We missed an opportunity to meet you and Sheila at Catalina. I hope we can do it someday. Sounds like a great place to visit!!!!

Two good suggestions - Flying Flags - Buellton N34 36.6362, W120 11.6526.  Daily Rates [non-group] $28>$39.  group rate available, 270 sites with w+e and 240 with sewer.

The state park in Cottonwood - in the group site.

Smokey: You might ask your firiend to look at the all the factors at the group site?  Do we need to reserve it.  Power, water, sewer.  Campfires? Rates? etc

That would be a good one after QZ??

Carl:  What kind of rates for groups at Flying Flag?  Is there a group site with any hook-ups?  Reservations policy? etc.  What time of year are you thinking?

As I think Mark Twain said, "Coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco".  Or something like that.  I remember my trip, had to go buy a jacket!  Couldn't believe the wind, visitied St Francis Yacht Club, and they told me it was fairly normal.  Whole different sail selection for those boats than what I was used to. 

How about a south east Rally, maybe at Rally Park, I can host.  300 sites, full hookups, + cable, plus newspaper, plus b-fast & lunch.  Test drive the new ones...  could be fun!  Just need to get thee to Florida.

Jim Dick said:
Ken,

We missed an opportunity to meet you and Sheila at Catalina. I hope we can do it someday. Sounds like a great place to visit!!!!

Especially now that they added the new sites. We were there over Thanksgiving weekend this year - no problem getting a site.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Especially now that they added the new sites. We were there over Thanksgiving weekend this year - no problem getting a site.

ken

We'll have to make sure we get there next time we head west.

So where do we stand?  Is Cottonwood a viable idea for a post QZ rally?  A place where the QZ ralliers can "freshen up" and a place for the dust haters to join the forum crowd after the "dusting" is over?

Our current plans are to head out with our friends from Lake Havesu on Sunday and hopefully check out Cottonwood.  Not sure if this will come off yet.

Smoky said:
Our current plans are to head out with our friends from Lake Havesu on Sunday and hopefully check out Cottonwood.  Not sure if this will come off yet.

Smoky,

If it "comes off", what route were you planning on taking to get to Cottonwood?

Alaskansnowbirds said:
That'll work. I was afraid that you would try to come thru Prescott then over the top and down thru Jerome.

Don,

That would have been a very good test of his driving skills.  :) I have to get back there since my dirt shirt is wearing out. Of course I got another in Moab last spring but it hasn't been soaked in vinegar yet so I can't wear it. Guess I'll have to get to that soon. :)

Well Don, I ended up doing exactly what you were afraid I would do.  If I had read your reply I would have stuck to my original plan.  But my buddy and his wife mapped out the Route 89 leg because they thought it would be scenic.  Well it was certainly that, but a bad mistake on my part.

My buddy drives a camper on a pickup.  Even though he was pulling a trailer with 2 ATVs on it, he had no problem zipping through the mountains.

When we got to the route 89 turnoff near Hope, I saw a sign that said no trucks over 40 feet.  I called my buddy on the radio, and he said not to worry, I was not a truck.  I had some indecision, but I elected to follow him.  It was very difficult driving our 40 footer with a long Taurus wagon toad.  As long as there were no guardrails, we were able to get by.  Somewhere along the way the road began displaying guard rails.  I don't know why, because the area without guardrails was just as bad.  The Admiral could not stand sitting in the passenger seat, got nauseous, and moved to the back of the bus.  We were able to make the hairpin turns without guard rails.  But we suddenly came upon a double hairpin curve.  I made it fine through the first curve, as it was a curve to the left, and I had the opposing land between me and the inside of the turn.  But then it swung around to the right, without any straightaway at all into a hairpin right.  There was simply no way the coach could make it without swinging out into the opposing lane. 

At this point I was doing 5 mph so I had time to think.  My great concern was that if I swing into the opposing lane, I would be head on to the blind curve.  Motorcycles had been racing through the route 89 passes all day.  I know how much fun that is for them as years ago I used to do the same thing.  I did not want to be responsible for a death of someone coming the other way, or even possibly my own death.  I elected to go about a foot over the double line, estimating it would be just enough to clear the guard rail.

Wrong!  I felt nothing but heard a faint swishing sound.  At the next pullover we pulled aside.  I asked the Admiral to go out and look, and she asked me to go out and look.  Neither of us wanted to look.  I went outside finally and at first did not see a thing.  I jumped in the air and gave her the thumbs up sign, thinking something had shifted in the basement and that was what I heard.  But as I walked on down the side my heart sank.  I must have just kissed the guard rail.  There were double stripes for the last 3 bays on the passenger side, matching the double bulges on the guard rail.  A few spots were down to the base but 95 % of it can be buffed out.  I also have matching touch up paint.

The good news is that no structural damage was done.  No worse than branches scraping the paint.  I figured God had made a deal with me.  Since I refused to go very far into the opposing lane, The good Lord gave me a break and only allowed cosmetic damage to occur.  I know know that no 40 foot trucks mean motorhomes as well.

When we arrived at Cottonwood, the campground owner asked if we had come up 17.  When I said no, we came across 89, he looked at us in disbelief.  I showed him the scratches, but he said,"that is still mighty fine driving man!"  His comment was what finally stopped the Admiral from bitching what a lousy driver I was for kissing that guard rail.  ;D  No one should ever take 89 to Cottonwood if the have a big rig.

In the airplane business we always said its easy to replace aluminum (or paint). 8)

You are lucky that you did not suffer any more serious damage and that you didn't get caught by the state trooper.  40 ft is 40 ft no matter what 40 ft + vehicle you are driving.  Sure glad it wasn't more serious.

I learned a good lesson Ron.

First, I should listen to Rosie.  When I programmed the route into my 2610, "Rosie" did not want to send me on 89.  I use the "bus" option on the gps, figuring that if a Grayhound can make the passage, so can the Newmar.  ;D

Second, when I see any kind of doubtful sign, I will either send the toad ahead first, or seek an alternate route.

Smoky said:
I learned a good lesson Ron.

First, I should listen to Rosie.  When I programmed the route into my 2610, "Rosie" did not want to send me on 89.  I use the "bus" option on the gps, figuring that if a Grayhound can make the passage, so can the Newmar.  ;D

Second, when I see any kind of doubtful sign, I will either send the toad ahead first, or seek an alternate route.

Third, Listen to what you're told here on the forum.  ;D  ;D  ;D

How long are you going to be in Cottonwood? Which campground are you staying at? We're just over in Camp Verde.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom