Replace Roof by Section

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reifwj

Ok, since I have not receive any advise.  If I have a rubber roof.  I know they are laid in sheets, however, the area I need to replace is pretty small.  Can I use a smaller peice of the rubber roofing material and piece it into the the area that needs to be repaired.  It was a seam leak and I don't want to shell out for an entire new roof if I can piece the rubber in and use Etrnabond to seal the junction.

The short answer is yes.  Do you have a source for small pieces of the rubber?  How small is small?  Most often it is sold in sheet lengths sufficient to do an entire roof.  The water based adhesive is sold in gallons.  Depending on the type of seam you want between old and new rubber, the standard Eternabond or their Double Stick version can be used.

That actual swollen wood is about 1 foot by 1.5 foot.  That's making it as square as possible.  I'm pretty sure it is particle board because of the swelling.  It is on the front drivers side corner of the cab-over portion.  I was wondering if a person could use the liquid stuff and double coat it.

Its best to replace the wood.  A liquid coating is only a short term fix.  After taking it apart and  replacing the wood, as needed, your repair area may grow to 2'-3'sq or more.  Be sure to feather all wood edges to prevent them from cutting thru the rubber over time.  The rubber is also used by roofers for flat roofs.  It comes in .040" & .060" thick black or white, black is the predominate color in our area.  Your local suppliers may have scraps available.

reifwj said:
That actual swollen wood is about 1 foot by 1.5 foot.  That's making it as square as possible.  I'm pretty sure it is particle board because of the swelling.  It is on the front drivers side corner of the cab-over portion.  I was wondering if a person could use the liquid stuff and double coat it.
How long has this leaked?  Can you see evidence inside?  You did not say you have a class 'C', but you did say "cab-over portion".  I highly recommend you investigate futher before actually repairing the roof.  It may be a bit bigger job than just patching and you may find more extensive repairs will be needed in the near future.

In the meantime, the membrane probably only has a small hole or it may be leaking along the edge, especially if there is some aluminum trim involved at the edge or along the front.  Instead of replacing a section, I would carefully slit the membrane (as necessary) to open up the area and make your repairs to the substrate (which I suspect is luan plywood, not particle board).  Then glue the membrane back down and seal the slits with Eternabond tape (follow instructions well in cleaning surface).

It's a slide in.  I bought it used last summer with no signs of water damage inside or on the roof.  After a long trip to SD in the rain, I did an inspection cause I hit a few birds.  I noticed it was swollen when I arrived.  I dried in about two days, wood was crunchy like water damage particle board, with a small leak.  I'm hoping that means there wasn't that much water in there and was forced back along the roof because of the wind of driving.  No water damage inside so I'm assuming th damage is minimal.  I am currently deployed and when I get home it is the first thing on the list to get done.  I didn't think about cutting the membrane. 

I figured since it was swollen it was not the fin wood, but was particle board.

reifwj said:
I figured since it was swollen it was not the fin wood, but was particle board.
Well, I wouldn't rule out particle board except particle board would not be a very good roof substrate due to moisture and, just as important, weight.  You could probably contact the mfgr and find out while you are waiting to get back home.

"currently deployed" - does this mean you are military?

Yes I am military. We are weighing the value of the camper and how long we plan on keeping it.  Don't want to spend 1500 on a camper roof for a camper I paid 3k for and might only have for a year before I have to get rid of it.  Then again I could stay in the states and I will hate myself cause I love the camper.  You can check it out in the sig block.

I am just hoping would the wood rot start and spread if the leak is sealed?

reifwj said:
I am just hoping would the wood rot start and spread if the leak is sealed?
There are products to prevent that.  "Timbor" is one I'm most familiar with.  Look at pest control sales.

From an old retired Navy guy, thanks for your service.

Thank you for your service.  You had to serve so I had a country to serve

Back
Top Bottom