Propane Tank - Where do I carry it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthandken CDN

We have a spare 20 pound (I think it is, the size you put under a big BBQ) which we carry as a spare for Extend a Stay, if we're a long time in one spot.  I was reading somewhere that you shouldn't carry it in your basement when on the move.  Something to do with heat in the summer time or something.  My question is, when on the road, where do I put it?  So far we're been putting it in the toad.  When we park we just take it out and put on our site somewhere.  This is all assuming that is has gas in it of course.
Thanks.

Ruth

Hi Ruth

Propane has the characteristic of expanding a lot with temperature change.  The tanks are equipped with a relief valve to let gas escape if the expansion causes a increase in pressure above a safe level. You are correct that the basement of your motorhome is not a good place to store a propane cylinder. 

You do not want to store a tank in an environment where, should the tank vent gas, it would cause an unsafe condition. 

If you keep the tank in the toad, you should keep plenty of ventilation.  eHow suggests the floor of the back seat with a rear window down and steps taken to keep the tank from rolling around.  Because of the need for ventilation, do not store a propane bottle or cylinder in the trunk of a vehicle.

Google "safe transportation of propane" for more information.

There has been previous discussion on this site about the same topic:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=34916.msg326234#msg326234
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=3165.msg27392#msg27392
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=3110.msg27241#msg27241

EKB

ruthandken CDN said:
Great thanks.  Our toad is a SUV so it's all open in the back, and I will ensure that a couple windows are 'cracked'.
Trouble is propane is heavier than air.  So if the tank overheats and vents not much is going to go out the windows.  Then, for example, if you any kind of spark due to a switch in your SUV you've got a nice fireball.

Side note:  Several people were killed when there was a gas leak inside a house.  The folks working on the furnace had relatively few injuries.  However the two men, one of whom had just hit the doorbell, at the door were killed in the explostion and the house was levelled.  A doorbell only has 24 VDC so it doesn't take much.  I just a five year old kid down the street at the time.

RE: propane expanding....

Probably the most bonehead move of my life... if you don't count bad romantic decisions... was putting a recently filled 5lb spare bottle on the shelf under my gas BBQ next to the cylinder which was in use.  Heat from the BBQ expanded the propane in the unused but full tank which ignited and I had quite a large torch burning on my deck.  :eek:

We used to travel with a 5lb bottle for our BBQ in the coach and I traveled with it in the toad with windows cracked but I've since changed to using the 1lb bottles which aren't vented and can be stored inside.  Not a solution to replace a 20lb tank however.

Good luck...

Rick

Back
Top Bottom