Portable holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverstreak101

We have a 271/2 ft. Shasta motor home and plan to add an additional holding tank under the bed.  My question is where to put the additional portable tank to hold the  black water and then how to empty it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marsha

The tank will have to be lower than the toilet draining into it.  That would preclude putting it under the bed unless you plan on raising the toilet.

silverstreak101 said:
  My question is where to put the additional portable tank

Your question included the word "portable".  Are you talking about one of the blue tanks with wheels like these?

anywhere you can find place for it, some put it in the TV.  I put ours in a storage compartment.  I have seem several people keep it strapped to the ladder on the rear. 

The portable tanks are carried anywhere you can find room, usually somewhere outside, since a certain amount of spillage is inevitable. You dump the main holding tank into the portable and take the portable to the dump station and tip it up to dump it there. It should come with a standard 3" sewer hose for that purpose.  The larger ones have a tow handle that can fit over a standard ball trailer hitch for towing (slowly!) to the dump with a car, while smaller ones can be loaded into truck bed or trunk.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You dump the main holding tank into the portable and take the portable to the dump station and tip it up to dump it there. It should come with a standard 3" sewer hose for that purpose. 

Just curious Gary, since I've never used a portable tank in conjunction with a fixed tank. Wouldn't it be kind of chancy trying to partially dump a larger main tank into a smaller portable tank? Seems like it would be easy to wind up with a full sewer hose with nowhere for it to go, or do you just have to be quick on the shut off valve?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom