Built in Microwave Replacement Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeverden

I am currently replacing my built in microwave in my 99 FourWinds Windsport 30Q.  Measured the size of the old microwave - Finally found one the same size - so the old trim kit would fit arount the new one.
Guess what - 1/8" too small - So I started snipping the old trim kit to make it fit.  Now the old trim kit is in 4 pieces and I am on to plan B.

Make my own trim kit.  But they do not make a trim kit for this model.
The new microwave is in place but not fastened down.

I was thinking of strapping the microwave down using a tie down (Won't be visable)
Then using some sort of black air return the size i need or an oak moulding to match.

I will post some pictures when I get home - but any ideas or suggestions?

Right now it just looks like an oak veneer cabinet without a door on it. 
I would just need something to cover the top and bottom that is about 2.5 inches tall and about 23 inches long

Jay

You should be able to make some oak trim to fit and just router some slots in it for air circulation.  On a lot of the boats we would make a piece of plywood to fit the cabinet bottom and drill holes for the microwave feet to sit into and then fasten a cleat above it to hold it down.  You could also make some corner blocks to fasten to the bottom of the cabinet to capture the case and then use a tiedown to keep it from jumping out of the blocks.

If you are going to use the routered oak strips you may be able to work them in to secure the microwave as well.

boatbuilder said:
You should be able to make some oak trim to fit and just router some slots in it for air circulation.  On a lot of the boats we would make a piece of plywood to fit the cabinet bottom and drill holes for the microwave feet to sit into and then fasten a cleat above it to hold it down.  You could also make some corner blocks to fasten to the bottom of the cabinet to capture the case and then use a tiedown to keep it from jumping out of the blocks.

I like Charlie's idea of the holes for the feet of the microwave. if you did that, then you could just cut a couple of blocks to fit and screw in between the top of the microwave and the top of the cabinet, that would hold it down into the feet holes. If you don't want to buy a router, but have or know someone with a table saw, you could cut multiple 1/8" ventilation slots in your trim with that.

ok good thought, thank you.

The truth of the matter is i am secretly addicted to trying to figure out these kinds of things in my rv.  I always get great tips on this forum.
Winter is when i start monkeying around with things that don't work all that well.

The reason I replaced this microwave is it would just randomly turn on if you touched it.

Thanks again and please keep the tips coming in - I was just at home depot looking around at mouldings to use.

Jay

We had a "cranky" microwave in our last TT!  Couple of years ago it started freak out... almost all the number buttons would not work!  Time was always wrong but could use the popcorn button etc... came home from overseas... wallla, everything working, go figure, traded the trailer for current unit shortly after...  :p

Back
Top Bottom