Student Finding and Designing for RV oppertunities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
years ago I ran across some city transit buss's  that had their rear engine and  tranny on a slider that could be slide out the back for service or replacement

My wife and I think Roll Top doors on the Bays would really be usefull. They could roll up like a Garage Door or sideways like and entrainment center. They would take up inside space but we feel it would be space well spent.
Even "Pocket Doors" would get them out of the way when opened.

If your "concept RV' is a towable (TT or 5th Wheel) how about a generator compartment with a fuel tank that can be easily filled at a regular gas pump?

Fire trucks have been using roll up compartment doors for quite a while.  They are not cheap and they do take up some  room in the compartment but no head knockers or walking into them either.

Nicholas,

I think you might find that people probably have different goals in mine when they chose a certain type of RV. I'm sure there are some over lapping goals. but also some significant differences.
I've had small travel trailers, large travel trailers, and class c's. Now I have a truck camper. At this point my wife and I want to spend as much time in nature as possible away from the crowded camp grounds. Some people love the social part which can be a lot of fun. But our jobs keep us very socialized so we really appreciate just looking at and experiencing nature. We also have decided to keep it simple. No holding tanks, no built in gas or electric appliances. Last we wanted something that is easy to maintain, load and un-load and some what "greener than a class A. We love the little truck camper more than all the other RV's we have owned. Now if I become a full timer that's another type of RV and social experience. So maybe if you could generally  determine what a RV'ers goals are you might be able to set up some type of "RV structure". Truck camper, back to nature goals to the the over the top class full timers. I know there are some full timer's that have full time jobs working from there RV's thanks to modern technology.
Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck, have fun and I hope this is some good food for thought!

Tom

Just thought of this while tracing out some wires, how about conduits from front to rear for cables, fluid lines, wiring, etc. If not conduits maybe raceways, just some way we could access for maintenance.

My wife and I think Roll Top doors on the Bays would really be usefull. They could roll up like a Garage Door or sideways like and entrainment center. They would take up inside space but we feel it would be space well spent.  Even "Pocket Doors" would get them out of the way when opened.

Dick, our Monaco Executive has what they call "pantographic" doors on the underbays.  They lift up on hinged struts and are flush against the motorhome wall when open.  I really like them, except they don't work under slides.  Monaco switched to swing-open doors instead, probably because the pantographic kind don't work very well if there are four slideouts which weren't very common when they used the pantographic doors.  Rolltops sound good, but I'm not sure they'd work much better because of all the support structure on the upper side of the underbays.  We have light fixtures and all kinds of "stuff" in there.

ArdraF

I just finished building shelves in my storage bays to make them more usable. I believe that the RV companies could do a better job in the storage compartments and even in the closets to make them more usable.  I really hate to have to stack stuff in the storage bays.

Our experience with pantographic doors includes replacing gas struts every now and then. Have to tug pretty hard to get them open and up. They are a neat idea but the shop we use tells me these issues with ours are pretty typical of the breed. YMMV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom