Very loud air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susanne

I have a 2007 gulf stream tour master and the air conditioners are very loud.  Would replacing them with comfort air be more quiet and can it be done?

Most of the noise in an a/c is the air rushing through the ducts. Changing brands of a/c doesn't alter that.

RV a/c's are saddled with a inadequate duct system, constrained by the standard 14x14 ceiling opening they are all force-fitted into. It's silly and that constraint exists only for historical reasons, but the industry does not adopt change very quickly. Basement air is usually quieter becasue the 14x14 roof opening constraint is eliminated.

I think they're all loud.  I can hear other RV's when I walk by them.  When either our A/C or heat pumps are on and we're watching TV, we have to jack up the volume, then all of a sudden the A/C's stop and the volume just about makes us jump out of our skin.  We sit here with the remote very handy. 

My rear air condx was very loud and eventually turned out to be a burned out motor.  Replaced the motor and immediately quiet.  6 months later the compressor died.  Probably what originally burned out the motor.

Smoky

Our coach came with Cruisairs. 2 work, ok and are quieter then the roof airs

Are your AC's ducted?  If so, try shutting off the vent right at the AC.  This really quieted down ours as much of the noise was the rushing air at that location.  Our AC is located right over the kitchen area and actually very close to the thermostat.  Closing off the main vent and forcing the air out the ducts also made an improvement in cooling since the thermostat was no longer in a near direct line of the output air.

I agree about shutting off the main vent. Also, we already had a set of Sennheiser cordless stereo headphones that plug into the TV, stereo, whatever, which really helps hearing when the a/c or roof heat operates.

Back
Top Bottom