Deep Cycle Coach Battery Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv2RV

What is the recommended maintenance for Deep Cycle batteries that provide 12 volts to the motorhome interior lighting and fans?  What is meant by equalization and how often should this be done and why?

Assuming they are "flooded cell" batteries rather than one of the sealed types, just check the water level in each cell periodically. I would check every 30 days until I had a feel for how often the water gets depleted, then adjust the frequency accordingly.

The other maintenance is to keep the battery posts clean and free of corrosion.  You can buy a spray on solution to help prevent such corrosion. Most any auto parts store should have it.

Luv2RV said:
Should one be concerned when the battery case begins to bulge?

I certainly would be :eek:!  Sounds like time to replace the battery.

>>Should one be concerned when the battery case begins to bulge? <<

Yes sounds like your charger is over charging...do you have to add water frequently?

Terry
At Sierra Vista, AZ

I agree with DOn. If the case is buldging, it's time to replace it (them). Overcharging, causing excessive heat, leads to the plates shedding their lead paste. That and sulfation will cause those buldges. As for equalization, that only applies to flooded cell batteries, not AGM's. Equalization is a form of controlled overcharging which will help restore a battery and remove sulfation if it is not too extreme.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom