Putting "blue" in the Black Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I've been reading about this and wondered what the reason is why some full timers don't put "blue" chemicals in their black tank?  We've had campers, trailers and now are on our second MH and we've always put the blue chemicals in our black tank.  I was told that this was to help break down the solids and also to keep it deodorized.  If you're not using the chemicals, what are you doing if anything?  Thanks in advance for your responses...

I always thought the same thing Plus it helps with the smell, But in another tread about dumping into your home Septic tank someone said if you use it and dump in your tank it would kill the enzymes in the tank. It seams like it would kill the tanks at the campgrounds too

I don't use it because it is not necessary.  The best chemical to add is water.  Plenty of it.  Do a search here and you'll find many articles about people's experiences. 

Sorry for the mental picture, but I only put yellow and brown in my tank with some white.  Been camping for 5 years with a trailer, never put any chemicals and never had a smell problem.  Since I have no problem, I see no need to try to find a solution to a non-existing problem.

Like Comer said, use plenty of water when you are on full hookups. 

Not only the full-timers but many of the any-timers here don't use chemicals. We use a lot of water, back flush frequently, never dump with less than a 2/3 full black tank and don't have a smell problem. We save money and are more environmentally friendly.

We have not found that any chemical at all is necessary for routine use. We have a septic system at home too, and it doesn't get chemicals either.

Once in awhile (maybe once a year) I give the home and RV tanks a dose of Roebic 57 or Rid-X to boost the natural enzymes that break up fats and solids.  And I've found that a 3-4 day soaking of the RV tanks with a solution of Roebic or RidX once a year does a nice job of cleaning the scum off the sides of the tank, helping the tank level sensors do their job.

We gave up the chemicals and started using Dawn but have recently switched to Pine Sol.  Probably don't need anything in reality but I haven't yet weened myself off of putting something in there.

Lots of water and flush, flush, flush.

rick

The systems are designed to be used with no chemicals (just like home septic tanks as mentioned), and if you use any you are most likely just padding the pockets of the chemical manufacturers.  It's an unneeded product.  Water and time are all you need to break down any "approved" solids that go down an RV black tank.

I stopped using any chemicals thanks to the thereads and personal contact with RVForum framily.

Estelle taught me something new last fall. I was metioning putting Ridex in for the septic field and she said, "Oh, I had a septank in IL and I realized that yougurt does the same thing and is a lot cheeper!" A large plain yougurt now goes into my toilet at home 2x a yr.  ;D

When we get our mh, nothing will be added to the black tank. 

I was recently at a campground that had a rule of not putting chemicals in there septic system, they said it couldn't handle it.

Each time we've camped at Jackson Rancheria in Jackson, CA, they dump your tanks for you on entry to the park, and they give you a bottle of their special chemical and ask that this be the only chemical added to your black tank during your stay. I don't try to argue the point.

4Ducksrus, the reason most of us have quit using the "blue" stuff is because it is formaldehyde based.  Definitely not good for the environment!  The blue stuff will kill whatever is in your tank.  We really don't want to kill everything.  You want to have good bacterial action which is why we don't use the blue stuff anymore.

Bob M, I love the idea of the yogurt.  Your Estelle is a smart lady! :)  It would be similar in action to the baker's yeast we used.  And both are a whole lot cheaper than the big name chemicals.

ArdraF

Just got back from dollar store with their brand of septic aid. 3 dollars treats 1,000 gallons. Going to try that to help clean tank. I have used baking soda in tanks to help with smell but if you keep them empty and clean I reckon you may not need anything.

There's a vent pipe from the holding tanks that will keep all smells out of a rig if there's water in the sink p-traps. Wait until the black tank is 2/3 full and the gray tank has a good bit in it and dump the blackfirst and then the gray folowed by some more clear through the black via the toilet.

You don't need chemicals to stop what nature is trying to do --break it down as fast as possible. 

Makes sense to me, no more blue. I asked a septic tank pump guy what to use in the tank at home. He said all that stuff on the market is snake oil, human waste has all the enzymes you need to make it work, but watch the cleaners go easy on them and thick tp.

Bob I understand what you folks are saying about not using the "BLUE", and the vent pipe but I have a power ceiling vent that will suck the clean air down the vent pipe and make it smell....  well not so nice as it comes out of the toilet when you flush. So in goes the blue and out  comes a nicer odor, am I the only one with the reverse air flow, fan vento sucko problem? :D

Just plain old H2O, once in awhile I put in a little pine sol but do not need it.

When I first got my MH I had no idea on anything !!! One of them being the blank tank.  But I listened to these experts in here and didn't put any chemicals in it.  Lots of water, flush it out everytime it's emptied.  The only thing I do put in it is yeast.  I know people who put that in their septic tank to help get those little buggers in there working like crazy.  So I buy those little packages of yeast at the grocery store and every now and them I toss the contents of one of them in there.  Touch wood, we have had no problem with the tank.  The only think I discovered is NEVER have the ceiling fan on when you flush it.  It sucks all the smells right out of the hole and right into your bathroom.  YUK!  Just about knock you out.

I don't do anything for odor... I have found that some of the biologicals can help with the snesors, However the products marketed as "Sensor Cleaner".... WILL not clean anything.. they just add salt, common table salt.

Mark R. said:
Bob I understand what you folks are saying about not using the "BLUE", and the vent pipe but I have a power ceiling vent that will suck the clean air down the vent pipe and make it smell....  well not so nice as it comes out of the toilet when you flush. So in goes the blue and out  comes a nicer odor, am I the only one with the reverse air flow, fan vento sucko problem? :D

Turn off the fan when you flush, end of problem.  And if the fan is that powerful, the odor won't linger for long anyway.

Back
Top Bottom