GMC Duramax Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro04

I'm looking at buying a 2001 2500 GMC truck with the Duramax Diesel in it. I will be pulling my trailer that weighs in around 6200 lbs. My first question is does anyone have this truck with that engine and how does it pull the hills? What kind of gas milage are you getting? And what problems if any have you had? Is this engine as bullet proof as they claim it to be?

Thanks

I have a 2010 duramax 2500. I am happy with mine. Not sure on the 2001. You need to google the engine and tranny. Mine has the Allison tranny and is a very solid drivetrane. I don't think it would have a problem handeling 6200k, but you need to check the trucks max tow capicity
I know the early Duramax.. Had injector problems so i would have it checked by a certified diesel mech. I am pulling 13900k and not an issue. My truck is new but no issues. Many factors when it comes to towing. See the towing guide in the library.
Your main issue will be having the engine and tranny checked out to see if it is solid,

Our company has a black 2001 crew cab shortbed 2500 with the duramax/Allison combo.  Its been a good truck, we don't ask it to haul very heavy loads but it did pull 10,000lbs plus a few times. I remember when our company owner first got it, it blew my 97 F350 out of the water, it is very fast. I believe it has 150,000 miles or so now.$3,500.00 for new injectors and several electrical problems but its been very dependable. For the last year the blinkers haven't worked and our local gm dealer tells us the computer needs to be replaced. I wish they would just go back to the old method on stuff like that, does it really need to be computer controlled? Also, if you live in the north make sure you get a grill cover for the winter, that thing never blows warm air because it never gets up to temperature. The block heater cord is extremely short too, it barely makes it beyond the hood. I say buy it, I'm a Ford guy but the duramax is impressive.

The known bugaboo with the Duramax is that it tends to eat fuel injectors. Those with high mileage (100k+) have probably had the injectors replaced at least once, perhaps once under warranty and then...? But it's a great hauling engine and the Allison tranny coupled with it is outstanding.

It's hard to say whether injector problems are crappy fuel or something inherent in the engine fuel system that leads to failures. Diesel fuel injectors are very sensitive parts and any dirt or nasty chemical in the fuel can cause problems. Diesel fuel systems are supposed to be well-filtered to protect the injectors.

I'm a diesel tech by trade.  I work on duramaxes daily. They are a very reliable engine if taken care of. The truck you are looking at has a LB7 model duramax. That model is mainly known for the injector failures. They either crack and put fuel in the oil, or the cause the engine to white smoke out the exhaust.  GM was very aware of this issue and provided LB7 owner with a factory 200k/7yr warranty on injectors.  It's not really a ''if'' it will happen type of failure but ''when''.  The 01 model also had head gasket issues but that was taken care of with a new style gasket. 

On my 2007, with 34k miles, I am getting around 19MPG w/o 5er and betweet 10 & 12 MPG w/5er depending on the terrain.

Thanks to all that replied to my post. Once again I come to this site for advice and walk away with the answers I was looking for. I will have to pass on this deal at this time based on all the injector issues. I have even done some of my own looking into this issue and still see that GM never really resolved this issue.

Thanks again my RV friends

jneal,
Are the injectors any better on later models?  I am looking at a 2005 GMC Duramax.  It has just hit 100k but has been very well maintained according to the Carfax.

Yes. The BAD injector problems ended in '04.5 with the LLY. The engine you will have in an '05. There are still the odd injector failure, but not like with the LB7's. They are also a LOT easier to change after the LB7, meaning a LOT less labor. I drove an LLY for 6 years and had not 1 single problem.

waroland said:
On my 2007, with 34k miles, I am getting around 19MPG w/o 5er and betweet 10 & 12 MPG w/5er depending on the terrain.

I'm a little surprised; I thought they got a little better gas mileage than that. Apparently I was wrong!

Wow, what were you expecting diesels to get?  19 is outstanding in a truck that size and so is 12 when pulling a fiver. If it were a comparable sized gasser you would get 12 without towing and 7 or 8 when towing.

Stewie Griffin said:
Wow, what were you expecting diesels to get?  19 is outstanding in a truck that size and so is 12 when pulling a fiver. If it were a comparable sized gasser you would get 12 without towing and 7 or 8 when towing.
My 2010 has about 6k on it. I can get 16mpg if i drive 65mph, 15.3 with my foot in it. Pulling my 5er 12.5. I talked with a guy one day at camping world that had a 2007 Duramax. He said when he hit 20k he started getting 22mpg not pulling anything. I will believe it when i see it.

I will have to say so far i am very happy with mine, No bugs of any kind so far. I have an oil change coming up soon and will try changing it myself if i can work around the skid plates. That will save me around $60.

Peanutman said:
My 2010 has about 6k on it. I can get 16mpg if i drive 65mph, 15.3 with my foot in it. Pulling my 5er 12.5. I talked with a guy one day at camping world that had a 2007 Duramax. He said when he hit 20k he started getting 22mpg not pulling anything. I will believe it when i see it.
I will have to say so far i am very happy with mine, No bugs of any kind so far. I have an oil change coming up soon and will try changing it myself if i can work around the skid plates. That will save me around $60

When I drove my '06 from Denver to Tucson I averaged 23-26 mpg .On one stretch I went 435 miles and consumed 15.5 gallons...do the math...SICK ! Around town , in traffic , I will average around 14-16 mpg. When I pulled my 5ver back of course it wasn't near as good and I was going up in elevation the entire way I still averaged 11.5-13 mpg. Thats nearly an 8-K# truck and a 13500# trailer....not bad...not bad at all.
Yes the earlier Dmaxes had a horrible track record with injector issues. The LBZ is a very stout engine. The LMM and the LML are great as well , the only thing that sucks about them is the new emissions crap that is installed on them..DPF's. If your serious about a Duramax, begin looking at the LBZ engine and newer. There are LOTS of tweeks you can do to a diesel that are still very safe and very reliable that will make your towing and mpg incredible.....and no it will not cost an arm and a leg to do.

G-SPOT said:
When I drove my '06 from Denver to Tucson I averaged 23-26 mpg .On one stretch I went 435 miles and consumed 15.5 gallons...do the math...SICK ! Around town , in traffic , I will average around 14-16 mpg. When I pulled my 5ver back of course it wasn't near as good and I was going up in elevation the entire way I still averaged 11.5-13 mpg. Thats nearly an 8-K# truck and a 13500# trailer....not bad...not bad at all.
Yes the earlier Dmaxes had a horrible track record with injector issues. The LBZ is a very stout engine. The LMM and the LML are great as well , the only thing that sucks about them is the new emissions crap that is installed on them..DPF's. If your serious about a Duramax, begin looking at the LBZ engine and newer. There are LOTS of tweeks you can do to a diesel that are still very safe and very reliable that will make your towing and mpg incredible.....and no it will not cost an arm and a leg to do.
I would love to get that kind of mileage. What mods can you do without voiding the warranty. I have looked at the banks air intake and exhaust package but don't want to void my 5yr/100,000 warranty.

For sure do the air intake ! I have the Banks Ram Air on my truck works great.
For sure do the exhaust ! 1. this will help alot with keeping those nasty EGT's down a bit. 2. If you want to take it a step further , do a complete exhaust system, turbo back. Depending on your local emissions laws..(..don't get me started on this..) you can do a cat delete. Some unincorporated areas do not require emissions on vehicles. Doing this will let the hot gasses exit out faster with out the restriction of the cat. No laws on removing your muffler. Now if you do a complete turbo back, kitty/muff delete, yes your truck will sound very agressive...loud , when you get on the throttle. Some like it , some don't. You can get less restrictive mufflers that will keep the db's in check and still flow great and provide a nice deep rumble. Do a minimum of a 4" down pipe to the cat ( if you keep it ) to the muffler ( again if you keep it ) to the tail pipe. This is a start...the rabbit hole goes much deeper ;D!!! None of this will void any powertrain warranty. Where all trucks especially trucks that tow; where we loose most of our hp and tq starts at the torque converter. The stock converter slips...alot. This does not allow all of the engines power to be transfered to the tranny and to the wheels. As great as our Allisons are, this is her achilles heel. Obviously if you do an after market converter your powertrain warranty with GM is gone, but most of the companies that provide these offer warranties. Mine through ATS is a 5yr/100,000. So it's really a wash. But getting into the torque converter and tranny can get expensive. A full set up with torque converter and upgraded tranny starts around $2-k and goes way up from there. If you decide to do little stuff a good thing to get would be whats called a, " Transgo-jr " it will apply more fluid pressure to your clutch plates, minimize slipping and allow for more power to be passed into the tranny...resulting in better fuel usage. Banks makes a great programmer , the Otto Mind. Great for those that just need/want a little more for towing.Banks really puts alot of time into their products to ensure a safe reliable operation. Lots of built in safety peramiters. No not all hp gains result in a decrease in mpg...simply not true! This is an easy plug and play, and can be removed from the vehicle in minutes with no trace of it ever being installed on it.
Sorry I'm on a rant again...!
3 things that will kill a diesels performance/mpg
1. not enough air
  not enough air tells the truck no more fuel, no more fuel, you press the accelerator down more and just end up dumping  in more fuel than the truck will burn.
2. Not enough fuel
if your truck is not maximizing the fuel input, you loose power and waste fuel and $$
3. Elevated EGT's ...Exhaust Gas Temperatures
Diesels hate being hot. Get those gasses out as fast as possible. The exhaust system is the start. I really noticed a huge change when I changed my manifolds and up pipes. Lowerd my egt's by almost 250* !!!! Then you get into an after market turbo. Our VVT is a good concept , but are restricted by lack of volume. Again, a bigger turbo means more hp , but it does not mean a lower mpg usage...just the opposite. What you would be getting in mpg at 2/3 throttle with a stock turbo you will get more at 1/3 throttle with an after market. More volume + more psi= less fuel needed to maintain same speed.
Like I said this rabbit hole goes very deep. I am putting down around 600hp and 1050tq at the wheels. I race this truck...on the track ::) , use it as my daily driver, and tow what ever I want. But I also have spent close to $12-k to get it to this point :p Not saying you need to do all of what I did to gain mpg's but at a minimum do the intake, exhaust, and a mild programmer directed for towing, and get some guages so you can monitor your egt's, turbo psi, and tranny temp. Oh...do a deep tranny pan. 2 1/2 times bigger than stock. My tranny temp coming home from Tucson to Denver never got over 195*.
I hope some of this helped.

PEANUTMAN, sorry one more thing, save your money on the Banks exhaust system, you can probably find a shop that can do it for less...shop around

Peanutman,
  You might save some $$ if you do a package deal. Banks is always offering up packages. Call them up and tell them what it is you are wanting, and they will steer you in the right direction.
If you do a search on Banks , you will hear alot of positive and alot of negative. Most of the negative will come from those that are/were wanting huge performance gains and are/were looking to race.  I know people say negative things about performance upgrades. Yes there are some horror stories out there , but if you are simply wanting to get a bit more out of your tow rig, with out the worries of blowing your tranny or motor , the smaller add ons I mentioned ( intake, exhaust, MILD programmer) your truck will love you for it.

Hi, I have a 2008 Sierra Duramax Diesel and I'm hoping someone can benefit from my experience.

I replaced the fuel filter a number of times because that was what the warning message said to do.  Went to two separate dealers to have this done and they didn't do more than change the fuel filter.

After the warranty ran out, a different dealer investigated further and ended up replacing all 8 injectors for $12,000. I was over 700 miles from home at the time and didn't have a choice.

I now find out (courtesy of a friend with internet savvy) that this was a well-known problem.  Do I have any recourse other than to contact an attorney?

Back
Top Bottom