GMC Duramax Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$12,000.00 for injectors?????      What they do jack up the radiator cap and slip a new engine in???

LesterShake said:
ended up replacing all 8 injectors for $12,000. I was over 700 miles from home at the time and didn't have a choice.

Dear God!!!  REALLY??

I'm buying a new diesel pickup this year.  Down the road, the second that puppy breaks warranty, it's getting sold. 

Will have to wait and see about injector problems, but I sure like my 06.  Get 21mpg empty and 11-12 pulling my 5er.  Even in Minnesota we have some steep hills but I no have problem with them and have power to spare

just purchased a 2005 duramax 1 tone dually with 41000 miles. I have not towed with it yet but, I am getting about 18 mpg freeway. I'm hoping to get 12 mpg when I tow a 12,000 lb fiver

I have a 2005 3500 with the Duramax.  I have 120,000 miles on it and have had no problems.  It is my work truck and is loaded down with a utility body filled with tools, a bed slide out and materials -- it is heavy. I get 22mpg on the highway and 14mpg around town.  Most of my driving is around town as I am a service plumber.

Bruce

$12,000?  I thought a set of Duramax injectors was more like $2500?  We have a lot of Duramax owners here, and I do hear that replacing injectors is a fairly common issue, so maybe we can get some other reports.

And even if replacing injectors is a 10 hour job, at $100 an hour for labor, that's $1000.  So if injectors are even $3000 and another $1000 for labor....then say $500 for tax and incidentals....that's still only $4500.  (I say "only"....it's still a lot of money.....but it isn't $12,000). 

For $12K....I would have had the truck shipped home on an open transport ($750ish), put the trailer in storage for a month ($200 with towing), ordered a set of injectors ($2500), fixed the truck in my garage, and gone back and got my trailer.  Total damage $3450.  There is no way in Hell I would pay that kind of money to change fuel injectors.  It's a diesel engine, not a nuclear reactor.  Give this old redneck a FSM and the right tools, and it WILL get done and done right.

My Duramax is a 2007 Classic 4WD with 128,000 miles on it.  It gets around 17.5mpg without a trailer.  I have a topper on it,  a 75 gallon auxiliary fuel tank along with all my tools and stuff it weighs about 8400#, so it's pretty heavy even without a trailer. When I pulled a TT, the rig weighed a little under 17,000 lbs. and got between 9 and 11.5mpg.  My overall average mpg is 14.1 and I've documented every gallon of fuel ever put in the tank.  I recently replaced the glow plugs and that's the first repair done to the engine.  Has been a very good truck.  Coupled with the 6 speed Allison, its a dream to drive in the mountains. 

I have a 2005 gmc Serria 2500hd. I changed all my injectors and my fuel injection control module. Aim still haveing a probably with it idling. It runs fine on cold start but when it warm up it starts run kind of rough. It's act like it does have any power. When I get on the highway and stump it takes off. Does any body have any suggestions

Peabody said:
I have a 2005 gmc Serria 2500hd. I changed all my injectors and my fuel injection control module. Aim still haveing a probably with it idling. It runs fine on cold start but when it warm up it starts run kind of rough. It's act like it does have any power. When I get on the highway and stump it takes off. Does any body have any suggestions

Ok. Is there any error codes? You might have to get OBDII code reader to get the error codes. Any boost leaks? Smoke (if so, what is color of smoke)?

Peabody said:

You'll get more responses if you start a new thread detailing the issues your truck is having.  Also....no offense meant....but I'm having trouble understanding your question....You wrote "It's act like it does have any power"...."did you mean doesn't have any power"?  Also, you wrote "When I get on the highway and stump it takes off".  Can you clarify that a bit....did you mean it accelerates well at wide open throttle?

I have a 2004. My first set of injectors went at 60k, done under warranty, the second set at 40k later. The diesel shop I went to the second time told me the issue is fuel filtration. He said the injectors are designed for European diesel not US/Canadian or Mexican diesel which is not as clean. He advised installing a FASS lift pump with double filtration. He said he does about1 set of injectors a week on average and has had none back that have had one of these installed. I went for the extra $1000 and had it done this time. Hope it works.

See http://reviewdieselparts.com/review/fass-fuel-lb7-duramax-injectors-myth/

Also http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_131&products_id=92&zenid=bq9sm4nq8m8mds31pn8tvkrc83

Have a 2013 with 6 speed Allison, 33,55 miles and get 22 empty, 10.5 to 12 towing 13k 5er

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom