(I'm new... so forgive my ignorance.) Why not Home Depot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skimble

Home Depot has white roof repair caulking.  They even have roof repair stuff in the can-- like Henry's... in white. 
They have regular silicone caulking that lasts 50 years (can I get 5 out of it on a motorhome?) 
And... Home Depot is less than half the price of the RV store. 
I'm a brand new motorhome owner, and the first thing I'm doing is resealing the whole thing.  After shelling out the cash for the initial purchase, I'm looking to save a few bucks on sealing. 
Why should I use RV store products over Home Depot's?

Your reasoning makes no sense to me. With such a large investment, why not shell out for products designed to do the job right the first time?
To answer your question home roofing products are not as suitable for rv's where the surface is constantly flexing.

The reason I ask:  All too often, products are marketed as specialized when they really aren't.  The simplest example is coffee stir sticks-- you used to be able to get 1000 of them for $5.  But, go to a craft store, and those same stir sticks are listed at 200 for about $6.  And, if you go to the grocery store for popcycle sticks or caramel apple sticks, they're much more $$.    But they're all the same. 
For all I know, the 50 year caulking could be the identical product as the specialty stuff they sell at the RV store.  I'm not going to compromise my investment, but I also don't want to spend $50 for something that costs $20 at home depot.

I assume you are asking this question because you really want to know the correct answer.  Continue your research with a google of Dicor products, the DOs and don'ts of silicone caulk on RVs, etc...  If you still want to use caulk from your local Big Box store, have a blast.  When (not if) it disappoints you in performance, remember to add the value of your labor, to remove it, to the cost of the replacement recommended products.  JMHO

If, and that?s a big word, If as long as the products are of equal quality and composition I see no problem with it.  Lots of products are made by the same company but packaged differently but the warranty might not be the same or the level of support might not be there.  I have found that lots of times so called specialty stores tend to price things higher. There are certain products that are without a doubt better than others for a specific job.  JMHO            Chip

You should be able to go to the manufacturer's web sites for the products that you think are comparable, and download the MSDS Sheets.  They will give you a clue as to whether the products are the same composition.  It's not the final say, but is a good start, and easy to do.

aka Porky said:
I assume you are asking this question because you really want to know the correct answer. 

aka Porky was right on with his reply.

Sometimes it can be the exact same product and sometimes it's similar but not exactly the same.  For example I have an above ground pool and my sister thinks I'm crazy to pay a little more for products from the local pool supplies store.  The difference between the products I buy and similar products at Walmart or Big Box stores is how it affect the vinyl liner which can wear it down sooner.  Another reason I buy at the pool store is that I seek advice of someone with more background & knowledge.

I can understand where the op is coming from and it seems to me that Skimble is inquiring about the difference.

OK.... I did some investigating at the stores. 
Walmart had nothing.  Home Depot had some products that are made for roofs.  And the high end Henry's is flexible-- and double the price of the low end.  If I owned an RV with a metal roof, I'd get that in a heartbeat after reading the specs on it. 
At the RV store, they explained some things.  I got a really nice guy who was pretty straightforward with me.  The roof cleaner product is no better than Kragen car cleaner... it leaves no residue. 
At first the guy tried to sell me a $54 roof patch, then a $20 sticker... then he admitted that Eternabond would do the same thing (at $1 for 1/2 ft.)
My problem now is the black residue that's all over the (supposedly) white rubber roof.  ugh. 

When i needed "Koolseal" i got it from home depot it was exactly the same can i think the rv store got it there and marked it up.

Best bet is to research the products and find exactly what you need redoing it will cost even more.

eternabond tape is the cats meow here , couple 4" by 50' rolls and forget the recaulking every six months or so .. Kinda spendy but well worth it

I found Eternabond for $2/ft.  I got 8 feet for the part over the front window-- the cabover.  It seems to be the area that has the most problems with water intrusion from what I've read.  When I got to the register, the guy looked at the rest of the roll, said he didn't think he could get 8 feet out of it.  So, he gave me the remnant for $4.  That turned out to be about 12 feet.  ;D
There's no rain in the forecast for 10 days, so I have time.  I'm going to wait on the reseal of the rubber until I can get a decent answer. 

The Kool Seal for RVs seems to be a different product formulation than the Kool Seal for mobile home roofs. Or at least, it is labeled as a different product.
http://www.koolseal.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=63-900

I have used urethane sealers from Lowes or Home Depot on my RVs, and also silicone, in the few places where silicone is appropriate. I also buy from other non-RV store sources, e.g. 3M automotive sealers, for my RV.

I can find no material difference between the excellent Geocel Proflex RV and standard Geocel ProFlex tripolymer sealer, so I use either one. The price is about the same, though.
http://www.geocelusa.com/php/retail/product.php?prdb_product_id=24
http://www.geocelusa.com/php/retail/product.php?prdb_product_id=39

I have no issue with buying products from Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot, but doing so presumes you read the labels on the products and understand what is suitable for an RV and what is not. If you don't, best to buy an RV specific product, even if you end up paying a bit more.

Thank You Gary!  I've seen your name enough around these boards to know you're highly respected. 
I appreciate all the advice from everyone. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom