Dimensions inverter/charger problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bertola

Well I went out to check on the Motorhome today (2004 Winnebago Vectra) after hooking up a ?Trik-L-Start? to keep the chassis batteries charged.  The inverter/charger (dimensions 2000 watt) was making a bad buzzing sound. It has always made a slight hum but this was a very different noise.  The batteries had good charge on them.  The ?Trik-L-Start? seemed to have done what it was supposed to do. I disconnected it so as to install it per winnebago install sheet-  http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2006-04%20Trik-L-Start.pdf       The buzzing stopped when I turned the charger off on the panel inside.  But the display kept cycling between charge off and float charge with the red light blinking.  Then when I went to try the charge again it cycled between bulk charge and float charge.  Also it sounded like one of the solenoids was cycling also.  Any ideas? Is my inverter/charger fried?

Craig

If your batteries are original, I would suspect them first thing.  If they have been replaced, I would get them load tested just to be sure they are okay.  If you have known-good (as in tested) batteries, then I would suspect a wonky Dimensions charger/inverter.  Last I heard the repair charge was $400.

Thanks for the info, John. I went out and tested the batteries; they were purchased last summer. I called Winnebago and Dimensions; both suggested the batteries might be bad. They were in fair condition with a hydrometer test. So then I turned the charger portion on and everything worked like normal. I suspect the "Trik K Start" had something to do with my problems. I guess I will try to hook the "Trik L Start" up again at a later date and see what happens. Thanks again for your help.

Craig

It looks like I'm going to have to send the inverter/charger off to be repaired. My question is will I still be able to get AC power to the coach without the inverter/charger? It doesn't seem like I'll be able to, but wondering what full-timers do when they have to have their inverter/charger repaired?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig - good time to consider an alternative inverter/charger like Xantrex or a Magnum MS2000 - you could apply your repair money toward a substantially better product (with a pure sine wave output.)  Not sure if you can still run the coach electrical without the inverter installed - I would have to look at the wiring diagrams.  Give Winnie Owner Relations a call tomorrow - they can tell you.

John - I just might consider a new inverter/charger.  Thanks for your help.  I'll let you know what I decide. 

Well I'm finally going the replace the Dimensions 12X20B3RT inverter.  I have decided on the Xantrax Freedom SW2000.  The question is can I just swap the new one for the old one with no other modifications except new control panel/wire and battery temp sensor?

What you can do is check the physical dimensions and the terminal locations of Freedom SW2000 compared to the RS2000 since I know the RS2000 will fit with minimal drama in the electrical bay.  Hopefully Xantrex still has documents available for the RS2000,  if not I should be able to help you out.

Running the battery temperature sensor is a bit difficult even though the battery banks aren't too far away - there is just no easy to way to get there from here.

Getting rid of the Dimensions is an excellent choice.  If you haven't bought the SW2000 yet, look over Magnum's products - I have heard good things about them.

When we were having problems, before wonderful George at Unadilla, I called Dimensions about repair and was quoted $500.00.  Later told of someone who repairs for $45- 50 dollars; but have to drive to Tenn.

John Canfield said:
What you can do is check the physical dimensions and the terminal locations of Freedom SW2000 compared to the RS2000 since I know the RS2000 will fit with minimal drama in the electrical bay.  Hopefully Xantrex still has documents available for the RS2000,  if not I should be able to help you out.

Running the battery temperature sensor is a bit difficult even though the battery banks aren't too far away - there is just no easy to way to get there from here.

Getting rid of the Dimensions is an excellent choice.  If you haven't bought the SW2000 yet, look over Magnum's products - I have heard good things about them.
I just bought 5ea. MS2012's for some new news trucks at work, and a 6th one for Moi  )

John,
I installed the SW2000 today.  I had already purchased it and it seems like it meets my needs.  Install went well.  I haven't tackled the remote panel cable run yet.  Instead of cat5 for the SW2000 it uses a flat wire just like the dimensions but with a telephone connector instead.  Was wondering if I could just put a telephone connector on each end of the exsisting dimensions cable and use that instead of running a new cable? Also, I've read your install instructions on your website; did you have to run a new battery temperature sensor? If so, how did you route it? I was going to try to run mine through the same place the old one was run. I'm already seeing a difference in quality of power from the inverter.  The microwave doesn't hum anymore when running on inverter power!!!! 

Craig

bertola said:
I installed the SW2000 today.  I had already purchased it and it seems like it meets my needs.  Install went well.

Excellent!

I haven't tackled the remote panel cable run yet.  Instead of cat5 for the SW2000 it uses a flat wire just like the dimensions but with a telephone connector instead.  Was wondering if I could just put a telephone connector on each end of the exsisting dimensions cable and use that instead of running a new cable?

Give Xantrex a call and ask them about the wiring - it would be great if you could reuse the Dimension cable.  My RS2000 uses Cat5 with RJ-45 connectors - I'm surprised they don't for the SW2000.

Also, I've read your install instructions on your website; did you have to run a new battery temperature sensor? If so, how did you route it? I was going to try to run mine through the same place the old one was run.

Yes - my RS2000 came with a new battery temp sensor.  I spent a bit of time underneath the chassis trying to figure out how to travel a very short distance.  Sorry but I don't remember the route.  I did cut a hole in the upper left of the back of the electric bay as you face it for the Cat5 to the control panel and the temp sensor.

I'm already seeing a difference in quality of power from the inverter.  The microwave doesn't hum anymore when running on inverter power!!!!

You did good going with a pure sine wave inverter!

When I installed my RS2000 in my 36RD I used the old Dimensions temp sensor cable to pull the new Xantrex temp sensor cable through.

Chris,
I think I will try to pull the cable thru with the old one.

John,
How did you deal with the old mounting bolts?  They don?t line up with the new inverter.  I?ve tried to knock them thru, but they are not budging.  I was thinking about cutting them off with a hack saw and and using one existing bolt on top and drilling a hole for a new bolt thru the top brace point then securing with metal screws for the bottom.

Craig

Craig - I cut the old mounting studs off.  As I recall I was able to put a couple of the new top bolts through the reinforced part of the side of the bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom