axel identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerry R

We have a 2006 K2 by Komfort 21ft toy hauler. The maker said I should have the 3500lb Dexter axels but I have 6 bolt 15 inch rims with 225 75 15 D rated tires that would strongly suggest to me that I have 5k axels instead. I have been under it and looked from one end of the axel tubes to the other and can find no markings. How do I find what brand axels do I have?

Do not know about brand, but measure the diameter of the axle tube and you should be able to find out the weight carrying capacity from that info.

If it is a Dexter it will have a Id code stamped into the tube. You can call Dexter with that ID number and they will tell you what it is.

See this pdf for info on the ID location and format:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_9-10/Axle_Identification_9-10.pdfaxle

Gary RV Roamer said:
If it is a Dexter it will have a Id code stamped into the tube. You can call Dexter with that ID number and they will tell you what it is.

See this pdf for info on the ID location and format:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_9-10/Axle_Identification_9-10.pdfaxle

Thanks Gary. I have been under it three times now and can find no number anywhere on the backside of the rear axle tube but did measure the axle tube OD at 3 inches. After calling Dexter a lady told me she couldn't tell me anything without a number.Grrrrrrrrrrrr. At this time the only thing I can think of is just pull the bearings and seals looking for a number and failing that I should be able to take them in for a measure and find by dimensions. Anybody have a better idea I'm all for easy?
Edit: Fixed quote.

Maybe its not a Dexter.  Could be Al-Ko, Lippert, or maybe Axis? Or any of the smaller manufacturers. If you bought it used, maybe a former owner swapped the axles, since the originals are often marginal for the weight.

Don't take my word for it because I am not sure but I believe 3" is 3,500 lbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom