Removing Norcold fridge from 04 meridian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike and pat

I am going to replace my norcold with a rersidential and am trying to figure out how to get the norcold out. It is a 4 door fridge and I have removed the trim screws from the front and the 4 bolts from the brackets from the back. It will still not budge is there another connection that i am not seeing?

Mike - here's a couple of tips from my Winnebago contact:

There is generally a strap on top that is accessed through the roof vent, I am not sure if there is one if the refer is mounted in the slideout, when I was in the shop we had not started installing them in slideouts yet.  If it is in the slideout, I'd check inside the upper door to see if there is a strap toward the top.  The other thing I have seen is that the 110 outlet  for the refrigerator has screws going through the the bracket attached to the refrigerator and the bracket that is attached to the wall securing the brackets, similar to the bolts that the owner has removed.  The last thing I can think of is that there may be sealant under the refrigerator holding it down, if the bead was large and not dry when the refer was set in place, if this is the case you would need reach under the front of the refer with a long blade knife.

John, just curious...we were told that if our refrigerator ever had to be replaced, we'd have to remove the windshield.  Is that not the case?

Often a Norcold can be taken out through the entry door, if the box is stripped down (door and trim removed). You might have to remove the passenger seat as well, to make room around the entry door. Getting another fridge in, i.e. a residential model, may be another story. Depending on the size chosen, it may or may not go through the entry door.

If it doesn't fit, some window will have to be removed. Whether it is the windshield or another window depends on the size and location of your windows.

4ducksrus said:
John, just curious...we were told that if our refrigerator ever had to be replaced, we'd have to remove the windshield.  Is that not the case?

Gary is correct about it going out the door.  From my Winnebago contact:

It will go out the entry door, the passenger seat needs to be slid back, laid back and protected, they would take the black brackets off of the rear of the refer, (the mounting brackets that are bolted to the sidewall brackets.)  Some dealers have removed the passenger seat to minimize potential of damage, but if you are careful, it isn't necessary.

mike and pat said:
I am going to replace my norcold with a rersidential and am trying to figure out how to get the norcold out. It is a 4 door fridge and I have removed the trim screws from the front and the 4 bolts from the brackets from the back. It will still not budge is there another connection that i am not seeing?

As you do this project, please come back and let us know how it went.  I have considered doing this too and would be interested which residential fridge you find that will fit the existing Norcold space. 

I have read some threads on other forums where counter depth residential fridges with the doors removed will fit thru your entry door.  However, most folks remove the large side window to get the new fridge into the coach.

When our refrigerator was changed, the old and new ones were taken out and replaced through a side window.  The technicians said they no longer remove the front windshield.  Fewer problems with the side window approach.  But, of course, it all depends on the space available for the specific RV.

ArdraF

Mine was  just removed and there were two screws at the bottom in the rear of the Norcold accessible only from the outside opening vent.

Also, the dealer removed the side window just behind the passenger seat.  They said it's easier to remove and reinstall that window.

Make sure your new refer can get into the MH through the SAME window you use to remove your Norcold.

JerryF

John and Gary are right. John I found the screw through the bracket for the 110 outlet sneaky aren't they. I will access the roof vent today to see if there is strap there. I have my residential fridge already in the MH it did fit through the front door and I did remove the passenger seat to make it easier. The fridge I chose is a Fischer Paykel counter depth one that is only 23 inches deep and should fit in the hole that the old 4 door one is coming out of. It is 66 3/4 inches tall and 31 1/2 inches wide. It is a bottom freezer with a door not a drawer and is made in New Zealand. I got it through Lowes and they delivered it this morning. I turned on the new fridge and once it is up to temps I will take the food from the old one and into the new. I have plans to remove the old one this weekend and the only problem I see is a little trim work since this fridge is 4 inches less wide than the old one. The fridge is 17.5 cubic feet. I will take pictures and report back when I am done.

Phelpo, I think the model is E522BLX. It is a left hinge, stainless model wuth no icemaker or indoor water dispenser. I don't need ice for my beer and my wife prefers warm drinks so that model works out for me

John, I will take pictures. I really owe YOU. It is because of you that I have side view cameras, have replaced my front tv with 32inch sony and a few other things that you did and showed everyone that we could make our own improvements without taking it to the shop.

Does anyone have any concerns about replacing a Norcold with a resi. style if the location is in a slideout? I wonder if there is much of a weight difference and if so if it would cause a problem.

John, I have a 40AD layout so it would be in the slide with the rubber rollers under the slide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

Pete - I don't know what the 4-door Norcold weighs or what a replacement residential fridge would weigh, but I personally wouldn't have any concerns if that was my project.  We also have the 40AD floorplan.

I am becoming a huge fan of this project and have a side question.

I could not find the weight of that model listed, but what are you using to support its weight as you come through the window? I measured mine and have lots or room but can see me bouncing it off the wood floors if I don't understand the trick.

And yes, I, too, would love to see some pictures. I think this project invites a lot of interest for us Norcold people with all the recalls.

Just thought I would pass along the answer to my own question. The 1200 Norcold weighs about 215# and a counter depth resi. style that I looked at was 254#. I guess my concern is a non-issue.

Pete

I got my new one in through the front door. I am not planning on taking out any windows. The guy who wanted my old refrigerator so if there is anyone in the Virginia Beach area that would like it for parts let me know. I plan on taking it out on Saturday.

Other details we'd love to know (along with the pics):

1) what inverter do you have?  Is it pure sine wave?

2) how many batteries do you have? 

Back
Top Bottom