07 Towing Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

IN the 07  towing guide it list towing limits for the (New 07, 6L, 3.73 axle GMC) that is more than what is listed in the manual. ( That is, if I understand what I read). Does this mean that the GCWR has increased also. Be easy with me for I am still learning.

The guide isn't always right.

Also, it is not unusual for manufacturers to add 100 pounds to the GCWR each year after a new chassis is introduced.

I assume you are referring to the Trailer Life Tow Ratings tables. 

Going to the tables can be tricky.  Tow ratings can very by hundreds of pounds for a given engine and axle ratio depending on type of cab, bed/wheelbase length, 4WD or 2WD,  single vs dual rear wheels, and, in some years, auto vs manual tranny or 5th wheel tow vs conventional tow.  Furthermore, tow packages, options, and other peculiarities noted in footnotes can similarly affect ratings.    This applies to the TL tables and manufacturer tables and operator manuals.  Take real care that you are comparing apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

If after you have resolved all that and there is still a discrepancy, go with the number in the manufacturer's published tables and manuals.  Trailer Life admits in their tables that their numbers are often based on preliminary numbers from the manufacturers.

However, if the discrepancy is just a few hundred pounds, do not sweat it.  You should be leaving yourself a safety factor in your ratings anyway -- we like to use at least 10%.

Of course.  Don't exceed the published ratings by more than 10% or so.

I'll get me coat.

It's possible the owner manual wasn't yet updated for the "New" vs "Classic" ratings either. You didn't give enough info for us to try our own reading of the Tow Guide, so we can't give an opinion  as to the "right" numbers.

Here is a source for the 2007 official Chevrolet/GMC specs - that will give another set of numbers. Might agree with one or the other that you already have, or might be yet a third set.

http://www.karltylerchevrolet.com/guide/brochures/2007/silverado/

Sorry....07 K-2500 Ext Cab.  Std box. 6L, 3.73 axle, Trailer is stored in side and when the snow is gone I will take it to the scales.

As I read the published Chevy/GMC Towing Specs, when using a ball hitch a New (not Classic) style K-2500 Ext cab 6.0L, 6.5 ft bed, 3.73 axle truck is rated to tow 10,200 lb if 2WD and 9,900 lbs if 4WD .

The very same truck, when towing a 5W, is rated for 15,400 lb in 2WD and 14,300 lb in 4WD.

Dramatically different numbers for 5W vs a ball type hitch behind the bumper.

The 2007 Classic model did not show a 3.73 axle for towing - only a 4.10 was recommended.

Does this agree with any of your sources?

Somewhat, but did the GCWR raise also. If it didn't , what did they accomplish?  According to the manual the GCWR is 16K.  The last time I weighed truck and trailer it was 16,700.  (gas, driver, wife and 2 small dogs and fishing equipment). Truck has plenty of power to stop and go. (notice I put stop first) We do not pull in the mountains. Comes spring I will reweigh and  if I have to we will down size the trailer if necessary.  Thanks

This no longer an issue with for me. Purchases a TT with a GVWR OF 7950K. Now I have to convince the wife it is a TT and not a house. But I am trying to understand how that they can increase the towing limits and not the GCWR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom