Network Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

Our RV club decided to buy an HP desktop running W7 for office use and provided a Linksys router to allow our member to network his HP laptop running Vista. The laptop has not been successfully linked after many tries by several reasonably computer competent members. The desktop network doers show both computers but the laptop does not see the desktop. The laptop says it is an unidentified network although it has the router SSID. I jumped in by first bringing over my Vista laptop and it worked i.e.networked and gained Internet access on start up no problem. I compared all kinds of variables between two computers and found no discrepancies. I decided to take the members laptop to my home and see what happened on my network. Upon start up, it immediately found my neighbors unprotected network and connected. I then entered in my 128 security code and it found and connected to my network no problem. The club router was a new N/g router and the laptop is an older b/g adapter so I thought maybe an in compatibility in g so I recommended the club go back and get a new g only router which they did and the results are exactly the same. Any ideas???? 

Delete the wireless network from the computer, then reconnect.  If Windows has previously connected to the SSID with a different encryption key, it will keep trying and fail until the network is deleted.

Open the Network and Sharing Center, click on Manage Wireless Networks, and you can find the SSID there and delete it.  Then try connecting again.

When you first set up a WiFi router make sure you change the SSID,, I mean how many are out there simply called LINKSYS?

If you have a router at home called LINKSYS, and it is encrypted, then you go to a park where the park router is LINKSYS and it's not encrypted.. You won't connect.. If you go to connect at the office LINKSYS, with a DIFFERENT encryption it won't connect.

But if you re-name your system "Joe-Net" and encrypt it.. then when you connect at the park, the Wi-Fi client will say "Oh, Different" and if it's encrypted ask for the key.. Or at the office.

Of course if it says SNAFU.. Come knock on my door.

I was visiting my aunt and setup a spare router so I could use my laptop in another room.  I named the SSID a bad phrase starting with F and ending with you. And with a long pass phrase of course.  I also knew that my aunt would never know and anyone snooping well ...

So a few months later I'm attending Amateur Radio Field Day and the guys wanted to network their PCs together for the logging software.  So I pull out that router and plug it in.  Completely forgetting about my SSID.  A few moments later the boys ask me what is going on.  They had a good laugh. Needless to say the SSID was changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom