Norcold 6162 Refrigerator Replacement to Residential Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anypaws

We have a 1996 Winnebago Itasca Spirit 29RQ (Class C).  We have replaced the cooling unit on our fridge 3 times and it is ready to be thrown out.  We would like to replace it with a residential fridge.  Has anyone found a good replacement with similar measurements (52-7/8" x 23.5" x 24").  The only one we can find is a Magic Chef 5.1 cu. foot fridge from Walmart, but it only comes in white.  We would like either a black or silver replacement.  Also, are there any other conversion concerns we need to be aware of, i.e., electrical...?  Ann

Take a look at the Norcold DE-0061.  It's the same size as your present refrigerator but uses a low current 12 volt compressor instead of the absorption refrigeration unit.

Thanks so much for your input.  We ended up purchasing an Avanti from AJ Madison at an excellent price.  The fridge arrived with a small dent on the door and AJ took off an additional $40.00!  Now we just need to figure out how to secure this fridge in the open space.  It is about 2" smaller than our Norcold on both sides of the fridge.  What is the best way to secure this new fridge?  Does anyone have any modification photos they can share?

Lou Schneider said:
Take a look at the Norcold DE-0061.  It's the same size as your present refrigerator but uses a low current 12 volt compressor instead of the absorption refrigeration unit.
Very nice.  Glad to see they are working on such devices.  But I wonder what the point is of even offering a 120VAC option.  Why not just straight 12 VDC and let the inverter/converter power it if on external power/generator?

Sounds like this unit uses a system similar to the portable freezer/refrigerator units that you put in the basement. I have been wondering when these would be available. The portable units units work on the 12VDC and a 120VAC to 12VDC power supply. The compressor uses a linear motion instead of a rotary one and the same freon used in automobiles. Neat.

Back
Top Bottom