Extended Warranty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrod013

Will be purchasing an RV next month, a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Have been told by friends with RVs to get an extended warranty, but  not from dealer. Too pricey. All suggestions appreciated.

I think you've gotten some good advice so far.  The question of extended warranties doesn't have a "right" answer.  Some say it's a fool's bet because the warranty company has to make money so why not just cut them out of the equation and put that money into an account and pay your maintenance out of that.  Some, like me, bought one because they were new to RVing... had no idea what they were doing... and didn't want to be hit with a big surprise repair bill.  For us it provides peace of mind.  Some... do neither of the above and just take their chances or don't worry about unplanned expenses.

But, I do think dealers charge more for them and the price is very negotiable.  Just as an aside, if I understand their policy correctly, the Winnie factory in Iowa will gladly service your coach and honor your extended warranty but I think only if you bought the wty from one of their dealers.

Best of luck...

Rick

Check out the forum's Search page and type in "extended warranty" with the quotation marks.  You'll see there are dozens of previous threads on this very topic.  Warranties are basically insurance policies.  Statistically you'll pay more than you get out of it (otherwise the warranty companies would never make money) but if your coach suffers a major component failure then it would be nice to have.  On a 2004 that's been cared for and reasonably maintained, you probably have many years before a major failure.

Back
Top Bottom