Emergency Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket

My Allegro Bus doesn't seem to have an emergency start system that temporarily ties the coach batteries to the start system if the chassis start batteries are down. My previous MH had a momentary switch on the dash that was very handy. For some reason my start system batteries have lost charge over the last month and I have the Suburban jumpered to it right now to charge enough to start.
Could I tie the coach and start batteries in series with 4 gauge wire and a battery cut-off switch to isolate them during normal running? It would also let me keep the start batteries charged with the converter during storage. I would appreciate your input. I have no idea why the batteries discharged. They are fresh, and this has not been a problem before. 

[quote author=Rocket]Could I tie the coach and start batteries in series with 4 gauge wire and a battery cut-off switch to isolate them during normal running?[/quote]

Do not connect them in series! If you were to connect them together, connect them in parallel, which is what an emergency start switch and relay would do.

I have to believe you have an emergency start switch though. It might be labeled something else, such as Battery Boost. We have other Allegro owners here, and one of them might be able to tell you where to find the switch.

I also have an Allegro Bus, no offense meant, but are you sure you don't have an emergency start switch?  Mine is not on the dash, but on the horizontal panel left of the driver's seat.

Call Tiffin, the manufacturer of Allegro and ask them.  Phone number 256-356-0261

Marsha~

Of course you're right, Tom. I was thinking parallel and saying series. I've looked everywhere on and around the dash, but can't find anything. I'll call Tiffin tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

In an emergency a good set of jumper cables would connect them together. Good things to have around anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom