primer switch on my Onan 5500 watt generator doesn't work.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

Fortunatley my generators starts after turning it over several times.  The primer switch doesn't work, and I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and might be able to tell me where to look.  Thanks.

I don't have it with me, I'm at work, but my Onan 4000 manual has a huge troubleshooting section. If you have a manual it might cover this problem. Someone on here always has a link to the manuals I'm sure they'll chime in shortly with the info you need.

Operator Manuals for most Onan models can be found here.  You'll need the model designator.

If that does not work.. Tap the START (Do not hold it just tap it. like one crank of the crank shaft) pause half a minute or so.. then press and hold to start.

Are you using a remote start switch or the one on the generator? If you are using the remote make sure the one on the gen is also inop as you could have a loose connection to the remote.

My Onan 5500 doesn't say anything about a prime function on the switch or in the literature.  Do I have that feature or not?  The generator is a 1997 year model.

aka Porky said:
My Onan 5500 doesn't say anything about a prime function on the switch or in the literature.  Do I have that feature or not?  The generator is a 1997 year model.

My earlier Onans set a choke when they were cold to help starting.

Jeff said:
My earlier Onans set a choke when they were cold to help starting.

Mine doesn't have a choke, but it does have a deflector that draws warm air off the exhaust manifold that can be set for winter or summer.

The generator is on a 2004 Fleetwood.  A relative of mine has the same model and it has a primer.  The start/primer is on a rocker type switch.  Rocking the switch up activates the primer and rocking it down activates the starter.

Mine is the same as yours Lou. It's on my 99 Bounder. when I started reading this thread I went out and took all the carb covers off looking and it has nothing.

I just checked mine and it does not have the prime feature, but it does have an electric choke.  Mine is a Marquis 5000.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom