Where's the 2005 Winnebago voyager's hot water heater located?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whenpiggsfly

A few days we took possession of the MH from PPL in Houston - WITHOUT OWNER'S MANUAL. Who knew that within days we'd be facing sub-zero temps and no idea WHERE the hot water heater is?  The ONLY area which seems to be the likely location (there's a vent/grill) is on the driver's side under the kitchen, but it  has no thumb screw or latch to open up the area.  We're clueless...does anyone have any suggestions; better yet, do you have the owner's manual?

You didn't mention the Voyagers model # but if you are lucky they made the same one in 06'?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php

Winnebago's site only carries 6 years of manuals so you just missed it  :(. You can check the 06 manual and maybe luck out. For a hard copy you can contact a Winne dealer and for a fee they will provide you one  ;D.

Stay warm!

I may have found a manual but can you give me the exact model and number?  I found a PDF manual for 2005 VOYAGE WFF35D F-SERIES so let me know. 

Gary
08 View

Dar said:
You didn't mention the Voyagers model # but if you are lucky they made the same one in 06'?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php

Winnebago's site only carries 6 years of manuals so you just missed it  :(. You can check the 06 manual and maybe luck out. For a hard copy you can contact a Winne dealer and for a fee they will provide you one  ;D.

Stay warm!

Dar, thanks for that link.  It's certainly a keeper just in case we can't find the 2005 version.  And while there's a great tutorial on how to drain the water system, there's no way to tell WHERE the water heater's located!
PS:  Our Voyager is a F 38J
PPS:  Where's YOUR water heater? Is it obviously the water heater area (complete with "hot!" warning?)  We just made another walk around in the bone-chilling temps; we're going to feel like such numbskulls if the thing turns out to be in plain view!

Rocky35 said:
I may have found a manual but can you give me the exact model and number?  I found a PDF manual for 2005 VOYAGE WFF35D F-SERIES so let me know. 

Gary
08 View

I don't know if this is complete, but we were told it's 2005 Voyager F 38J.

Thanks!

Turn the heater on in LP gas mode, run some hot water to chill the tank a bit and listen for the roar of a big propane burner.  And it has to have an exhaust vent too, so that grill is probably it, or near to it.  There should be an access door on the side of the coach, with a grid covering the exhaust port. It won't have a handle per se, but should have a ring protruding through a slot. Twist the ring to align with the slot and the door swings open.

Most owner manuals don't spell out the location of things anyway. The water heater location sometimes even varies with the floor plan.

The water heater is on the drivers side, just in front of the back wheels.

There are two screws that are on the bottom of the panel that have to be removed to access the water heater.

Paul

On our 2007 Voyage 35A, it's in a compartment just in front of the rear wheels - drivers side.... as Paul&Ann said, it doesn't have a "latch" but has 2 screws on the bottom lip under the panel holding the panel on.. it's hinged at the top however just like all the other outside compartments.... very poor design - for some reason they saw fit to skip the  latch on that panel door...
If I remember, when I open it, I need to use a bungi cord to hold the panel door up while working on it...it's hinged but no air jobbies to hold door open...

Paul & Ann said:
The water heater is on the drivers side, just in front of the back wheels.

There are two screws that are on the bottom of the panel that have to be removed to access the water heater.

Paul

MARVELOUS INFO!! THANKS!  We'd still be mystified if not for you!.

(Actually, we're STILL mystified that it's such an unbelievably poor design.  First time it's ever been necessary to lie down on the ground to remove the  panel from a water heater unit!)

We're very grate for the invaluable info.

WhiteEagle said:
very poor design - for some reason they saw fit to skip the  latch on that panel door...

Poor design is an understatement, isn't it? And to think Winnebago allowed such a goofy flaw to endure for at least three model years.

Boats, cars, RVs all have a lot of similar 'design' idiosyncrasies. 

When we had the sailboat I was seriously considering repowering (replacing the propulsion engine) - it would have meant removing the pedestal steering and cutting a large hole in the cockpit floor to lift the old engine out and drop the new one in.  When we bought the boat I discovered the aluminum water tanks (located under the salon floor) were leaking.  All I had to do to remove them was to cut two large holes in the floor and use an air chisel and circular saw with a metal cutting blade to cut them into pieces.

I heard about an American made car with a rear spark pug so difficult to access, it was easier to remove the motor mounts and lift up the engine to change the plug.  My '97 Corvette apparently had rear plugs that were very difficult to change - I say apparently because I sold it before I needed to change plugs and put new tires on  it  8).

I firmly believe the designers and interior decorators plan what the inside needs to look like and then they hand it off to engineering and tell them to 'make it work.'

This topic was discussed a while ago, and here is part of the discussion.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=34490.msg323241#msg323241

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom