entry door window install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

falconhunter

Here is a project my wife and I did on out new fifth wheel. Our model comes from the factory with no entry door window, just a peep hole. The first thing I did was make sure we could cut the door out and not have a problem. Our door has an ID sticker on it with the model # and was made by Challenger door for Carriage. I contacted them the other day and they told me no problem cutting the door and installing the insert that I picked out. They also confirmed that my wiring for my keyless entry lock was routed around the bottom and up the side of the door. I ordered my insert from McCoy?s here in Texas and it was 216.00 with tax and shipping. That included the trim kit. I ordered the elegant star or what I call the Texas star item #949-TX with the patina caming from ODL Building Products. I'm going to paint the trim black to match the caming and the dark windows on my rig. Their windows are very well built and are insulated with the leaded part between the two outer pieces of glass. They have lots of very nice classy looking windows. Only the ? oval would work on our door.

The first pic is of the insert with the factory exterior trim. It comes pre mounted to the glass for a weather tight fit and has a built in weather seal for where it makes contact to the door. The second pic is of the back side of the molding that I had to fabricate for the inside of the door out of some 1/2" birch plywood. The last pic is of the fabricated trim screwed to the front trim to check for the screw alignment. I pre painted the trim with two coats of exterior latex enamel. Due to photo limitations I will post this in three parts.

Attachments

• P2030602.JPG
    P2030602.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P2030610.JPG
    P2030610.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 61
  • P2030608.JPG
    P2030608.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 75
The first pic is of the cardboard cutout template taped to the door and ready for marking. I used a sharpie for marking the door so I would have a good line to follow.  The template must be ?? bigger than the window all the way around to fit the trim rings. I just laid the window on some cardboard and took a small ? x ? plywood block and slide it along the window with my pencil next to the block and scribed it.
The next pic is of the bottom of the saber saw. Make sure you put some tape or mole skin on the bottom to make it a smooth surface so you don?t scratch the door.
The next pic is of the cut out done and ready for the window to be placed.
Due to space here I will post the before and after pics next.

Attachments

• P2040615.JPG
    P2040615.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P2040616.JPG
    P2040616.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P2040617.JPG
    P2040617.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 63
Here are the before and after pics. My wife really loves the window and we felt like it gave our coach (Clara) a personal touch. You can pm me or email me at [email protected] or you are more than welcome to call me with any questions.

Attachments

• P2030613.JPG
    P2030613.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P2040619.JPG
    P2040619.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
  • P2040621.JPG
    P2040621.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 62
I haven't seen a camper without a window in the door before but I like your window
you did a great job. :)

Very nice job! Thanks for sharing! May I suggest one more addon so that you may enjoy that beautiful glass from the inside;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/replacement-screen-door-slides/1858

Dar said:
Very nice job! Thanks for sharing! May I suggest one more addon so that you may enjoy that beautiful glass from the inside;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/replacement-screen-door-slides/1858

Hey, thats a fantastic idea. Thanks!  Chip

If my other half sees this, I'll be assigned another project! If I don't do it, she'll get out the tools and do it herself.

I do have the templates and enough of the birch plywood left to make two more trim rings and would be glad to make them for anyone interested in installing a similar window. They offer them in a lot of different designs for the leaded part. I posted their web site below. I would make them free of charge and only ask that you pay for the shipping to you.  You can pm me or email me at [email protected] or you are more than welcome to call me with any questions.  BTW, we received a contract on our sticks and bricks yesterday and will only be here until March 31st then its full time!!!!!!!!! Cost for whole project was about 240.00

http://www.odl.com/doorglass_results_shape_3-4_oval_doorlight

Back
Top Bottom