EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dometic fridge freezing up and hard to light up  (Read 2703 times)

Kola

• ---
Dometic fridge freezing up and hard to light up
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »
HI gang, I have a 1976 truck camper with a Dometic gas/electric refridgerator. I have two problems.

1. It often takes long to light when using propane. It will ignite but if I let the pullknob back in, she goes out. Sometimes I hold it for 3-4 minutes and it still goes out.

2. This is a bigger problem. Even when my temp dial is set at the lowest setting of 1, my fridge freezes up. I put a small temp gage inside and it does not take long for it to go below 32 degrees. Is there a t-stat? What regulates it?

The exhaust venting and intake is not clogged or restricted and it happens in cold and warm weather. 

I hope you guys and gals can help me out. Thanks.

Kola

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:33:22 PM by Kola »

Kola

• ---
Re: Dometic fridge freezing up and hard to light up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
Anyone?    ;)

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
A model number for the fridge might help with responses.

As for the lighting problem, just a guess without a model number, but you may need a new thermocouple or reposition the one you have.  It might not be positioned in the pilot flame properly.

I can't comment on the temperature issue except to say that later model fridges have a sensor clipped to a fin inside.  The selection of which fin can make some difference in temp.  I have no idea what your fridge might have for this.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

ribbonslinger

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
I just bought a camper that had sit for 12 years in a shop.  The Dometic would not light on propane.  I read through the manual in the trouble shooting section.  I removed the burner tube and cleaned it out.  A lot of crap falls down the flue tube into it and it can get clogged.  Then I cleaned the flue tube with some haywire with a coil on it to get all the rust flakes out of it.  Next I cleaned the nozzle in alcohol and blew it out.  It says to never put a pin in the nozzle port to clean it or you could widen it out and cause more propane to get through than it was designed for = fire or damage.

After than it worked great.  I have had to got through the camper and clean every connection and put a little WD40 to get everything working properly.  Easy to bust the igniter if you are not careful when removing the burner tube !

Good Luck

Hosted by Over The Network