Dometic fridge freezing up and hard to light up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kola

HI gang, I have a 1976 truck camper with a Dometic gas/electric refridgerator. I have two problems.

1. It often takes long to light when using propane. It will ignite but if I let the pullknob back in, she goes out. Sometimes I hold it for 3-4 minutes and it still goes out.

2. This is a bigger problem. Even when my temp dial is set at the lowest setting of 1, my fridge freezes up. I put a small temp gage inside and it does not take long for it to go below 32 degrees. Is there a t-stat? What regulates it?

The exhaust venting and intake is not clogged or restricted and it happens in cold and warm weather. 

I hope you guys and gals can help me out. Thanks.

Kola

A model number for the fridge might help with responses.

As for the lighting problem, just a guess without a model number, but you may need a new thermocouple or reposition the one you have.  It might not be positioned in the pilot flame properly.

I can't comment on the temperature issue except to say that later model fridges have a sensor clipped to a fin inside.  The selection of which fin can make some difference in temp.  I have no idea what your fridge might have for this.

I just bought a camper that had sit for 12 years in a shop.  The Dometic would not light on propane.  I read through the manual in the trouble shooting section.  I removed the burner tube and cleaned it out.  A lot of crap falls down the flue tube into it and it can get clogged.  Then I cleaned the flue tube with some haywire with a coil on it to get all the rust flakes out of it.  Next I cleaned the nozzle in alcohol and blew it out.  It says to never put a pin in the nozzle port to clean it or you could widen it out and cause more propane to get through than it was designed for = fire or damage.

After than it worked great.  I have had to got through the camper and clean every connection and put a little WD40 to get everything working properly.  Easy to bust the igniter if you are not careful when removing the burner tube !

Good Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom