New version of the National Anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Methinks that Christina Aquilera forgot the lyrics half way through. I listened in disbelief, then replayed it a couple of times to be sure I wasn't having a hearing problem. I wasn't too thrilled with her arrangement or her pitch either.

OTOH I'm sure I'd have nerve-related issues singing before that crowd and the TV cameras.

Right On Tom.  I hate it when they 'fancy' it up to '...make it their own.....' :mad: :mad:  Nerves or not they don't need to mess it up.

I have always been of the opinion that the National Anthem was meant to be played the way it was written.  If they want to make it their own write their own song. 

[quote author=maddog348]Nerves or not they don't need to mess it up.[/quote]

You're right, and there's really no excuse, given her public appearances in front of large audiences and TV cameras. I could see that the players and the soldiers noticed.

Some songs ought to be sacrosanct.  Sing it like it ought to be sung, not some crazy way.  Starting with the Jimi Hendrix distortion pedals.

My favorite recently was a taped recording of an 8 year old singing at some yuouth game and her mic died.  She soldiered on, but the crowd picked it up and it just swelled. amazing.  Anyone see this one?

I got the distinct impression that she got to the point of saying to herself "get me out of here", and she tried to get out whichever way she could. Bottom line, it was a terrible rendition of our national anthem. If I ever sing it anywhere near as badly as that, you have my permission to whack me across the head with a 2x4.

Bill ~We heard the taped version and sang along in the living room.  Hope I never get too old to get 'goose bumps' and a tear in my eye.

My favorite was at the last home varsity swim meet in 2009. They had a group of seniors sing it with one being one of the girls on the team. They did it perfectly. I just wish it was recorded to use at all the home meets.

Bill,
    I saw that tape of the young girl at the hockey game.  A lot of performers could learn a thing or two from her.  Did you see the guy run in with a back up mike and then stop when the crowd joined in.

Had to go listen to Aguilera's version and it was soooo bad. Even if she had got the words right, it still sucked. Maybe some year, they'll skip the "celebrity" singing the national anthem and just let the fans in the stands belt it out.

Wendy
DV

:( I don't know why they didn't pick one of our soldiers to sing our national anthem. People do not sound the same when they are out of the recording studio, but gracious, what a disgrace. I think America is losing the respect we once had for our freedom. JM-2 cents! Irover :-[

Maybe it?s an age thing or something for me but it rubs me the wrong way when the song is not sang the way it was meant to be. I just hate it when they put their own twist on it. To me it is disrespect for the song and our great country.

Just my two cents.

Tom said:
Methinks that Christina Aquilera forgot the lyrics half way through. I listened in disbelief, then replayed it a couple of times to be sure I wasn't having a hearing problem. I wasn't too thrilled with her arrangement or her pitch either.

OTOH I'm sure I'd have nerve-related issues singing before that crowd and the TV cameras.
Tom, I agree pretty disgraceful. She might wish to apologize. As far as nerves, she regularly performs before arena crowds. I also agree with maddog348 - song is designed to be sung and sung well!

Now as for Luca,
Luca1369 said:
Is it me or did anyone else think that the Black Eyed Peas were a bit off tune?

You must not have had the volume turned up loud enough :D . My wife says they were great; rocked the house. I personally think the show beats any in recent years.

I don't have a problem with a different arrangement, but the singer needs to stick to it and remember the lyrics!

[quote author=bobsharon]I agree pretty disgraceful.[/quote]

I didn't want to be the first to use that term, but I agree.

[quote author=Irover]I don't know why they didn't pick one of our soldiers to sing our national anthem.[/quote]

Amen to that that!

For me, it was disgraceful.  There have been too many instances of celebrities singing "our song" as if it was a new single on the charts and screwing up the lyrics.  They should be ashamed of themselves  :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom