New version of the National Anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dos64k said:
For me, it was disgraceful.  There have been too many instances of celebrities singing "our song" as if it was a new single on the charts and screwing up the lyrics.  They should be ashamed of themselves  :mad:

I dont blame the celebrities.  They get to do the Anthem because there is a huge demand from the public for this type of stuff, and most of those who want to see celebrities like this, dont really care if they do a good job or not, just so they get to see their favorite "stars".

Anyone else remember Roseanne Barr singing the National Anthem at a baseball game?

Paul

bobsharon said:
Now as for Luca,
You must not have had the volume turned up loud enough :D . My wife says they were great; rocked the house. I personally think the show beats any in recent years.

I can tell you that without a doubt, my volume was WAAYYYYYYY too high for the Black Eyed Peas.  Perhaps it's a matter of taste, but I don't need a singer saying three or four times "Super Bowl 45 Yeah!"  I knew what game it was.  I think everybody watching knew what game it was.  Plus I think that Fergie and that one guy on the left of the screen could have given a better vocal performance.  Too much glamour and glitz and not enough substance, that seems to be the theme for Super Bowl halftime shows.  It was nice to see Slash with a shiny new hat though.

Our local country radio station(WWQQ) plays the national anthem every weekday morning at 0600.  On Monday they usually replay one that was done at the NASCAR race or ball game from the previous weekend.  I am proud to say that today they refused to replay the horrendous version from the Super Bowl and instead played a performance from the 82nd Airborne chorus from just up the road at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville.  It was quite moving.  They did it right!!

I feel that rendition was the second worst I have ever heard. Roseanne Barr is the worst. What appalls me even more is the lack of respect from the players and coaching staff when they stand around in a lackadaisical manner instead of holding their hand over their heart and standing straight. I know there are many in the crowd that also show a lack of respect but the players and staff are up front and personal on the screen! What is happening to the pride in this country? :(

One reason I am a NASCAR fan is that they still have an invocation(even televised) before every race and the teams line up on pit road and are usually holding their hands over their hearts during the national anthem.  The fans are also usually holding their hands over their hearts or holding flags. 
Any rendition that does not honor our country is a bad one.  What makes it worse is that some of the better renditions by artists are by ones that are citizens of other countries. 

Disgraceful, disrespectful, shameful and similar words all apply.  These celebrity performances are all about themselves and not about our nation or a solemn moment  in honor of the freedoms that make it possible to enjoy a Superbowl.  If the NFL can't get the job done decently and in a respectful manner, I'd rather they leave out the National Anthem and just play football. And if they can fine players and give penalties for "excessive celebration" in the end zone, how about one for unprofessional conduct during the National Anthem?

At least the preceding America The Beautiful was well done by Lea Michelle. And she even learned all the words.

Black Eyed Peas, what a crock! I`m still hoping C.C.R. will get back together.

The first Super Bowl had Al Hirt at halftime.  The performances have gone downhill ever since.

I agree, Aguilera was bad. Who needs it. I have heard the fellow who does the Anthem at Chicago Blackhawk games many times. He also sang at the NFC playoff game between the Bears and the Packers. Now that is well done and stirring. Now why did they have a fly-over when the roof was closed?

I enjoyed the Black Eyed Peas, but spent more time thinking about how they lighted up the costumes of the dancers.

Maybe if they get back to a couple of high school bands playing they could cut the ticket prices in half.

I actually thought the Black Eyed Peas were great! First, it really appeared to be live, especially compared to Usher's dancing singing. Second, we at home get a greater dose of the vocals than those in the stadium......the music would be really louder at the stadium.

Missed the national Anthem....sorry....kids hockey practice!

Mike

Tom said:
... and remember the lyrics!

[sarcasm]Well, in her defense, the anthem has a lot more words to remember than any of her own songs.  It consists of more than a couple of lines repeated over and over a computer generated beat.[/sarcasm]

Marc L said:
[sarcasm]Well, in her defense, the anthem has a lot more words to remember than any of her own songs.  It consists of more than a couple of lines repeated over and over a computer generated beat.[/sarcasm]

I guess they don't rehearse any more :(

Our National anthem consists of lyrics set to music.  IMHO Christina Aguilera, as well as the others who use "free form" to butcher our national anthem are being disrespectful to it.

This wasn't her first chance to blow the National Anthem.  There was a video on Youtube of her messing up at a Lakers game.  Youtube pulled the video this morning.  I was concerned about this whole thing when they announced that Christina would be the one singing.

Gary,

I've often thought America The Beautiful would have made a great National Anthem. A lot easier to sing and harder to improvise a different version. No matter what it is, it deserves a lot more respect!!

Totally disgusting singing by her and the Black Eyed Peas..
I wonder if part of the reason so many players and other were jumping around and/or not paying attention is that some of them didn't recognize what it was supposed to be....
Sure glad I didn't pay to be there for that junk... I could go use the bathroom... most at our party even expressed a wish for more commercials rather than such a poor half time show... what a waste..

Back
Top Bottom