New version of the National Anthem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at a Florida Panthers hockey game on January 11th and a Hispanic fellow (I'm ashamed I did not catch his name) blew the roof off the arena with his baritone (I think) rendition of the anthem. By the time he was done the crowd was in a frenzy. Simply the best I've ever heard. His Spanish heritage showed through in his singing but it was a great rendition. I'd like to know his name if any south Florida folks read this, I think he sings for the Marlins as well.

Maybe a Google search or a YouTube search would find it  ???

I'm the backup (aka reserve) singer for a club I belong to. Yesterday, the primary singer wasn't around, so I got to lead the members in singing God bless America, which I've done on numerous occasions. I got a laugh from everyone in the room when I started with "I'm glad I wasn't singing at the Super Bowl"  ;D

The best version of our National Anthem I have ever experienced was at the evening lighting ceremony of Mt. Rushmore. Our host for the lighting was a female park ranger in her uniform and smoky bear hat (I wish I had gotten her name, heck, I wish I had filmed it). It was in September of 2008, the arena was half full probably because it was windy and the temperature was already below freezing. She introduced the film and after it was over she proceeded to tell the history of the National Anthem. As she wove the story of the Battle of Fort McHenry and Francis Scott Key(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_McHenry#Fort_McHenry
) , she told of the American flag commissioned to replace the war tattered flag that flew over the Fort  and  how when the bombardment ended the new flag was raised in defiance to the British fleet. This is when Key, then on a mercy mission aboard a truce ship, having witnessed the bombardment, wrote the song. The Ranger recited the words and explained the meaning as she went along and then as she read the last verse she broke into song. A cappella ! She had a glorious voice? so pure, with perfect pitch she hit all the high notes. It was both amazing and inspirational. Then she had all the veterans come down to help her Retire the Colors and after the flag was folded she had each one individually put his/her hand on the folded flag and state their name, unit and theater of operation. By the time it was all over I was so choked up I couldn?t speak a word, but then, I?m just a patriotic old sap so what do I know.

First off, I am Canadian.

I was at a Chicago Black Hawks season opener vs. Detroit a few years ago. This was the year Bill Wirst (sp?) died. Some poor shmuch had drawn the short straw and had to come on the ice and talk about what a great man Bill was! He was royally booed off the ice! Talk about truly loyal fans!

Then the national anthem started........all I can say is that it was the first time I've ever experienced goosebumps (even with the Canadian anthem).

Them Hawks fans are something else!

Mike

Howard,

I had a similar experience at Mt. Rushmore 13 years ago. The Ranger didn't sing but she told the story and, as she did, the lights came up slowly on the memorial. It was the most moving experience I ever had. I doubt there were many dry eyes in the audience. Even now mine get a little moist thinking about it! :)

If it were up to me, I would audition singers for the national anthem based on their ability to sing the song as written, all verses, with no variations in the rhythm or melody. No cadenzas. And inform them that half their pay would be withheld until afterward, to ensure they sing it properly.

And it sounded to me like the Black Eyed Peas were using "autotune", software that  helps you sing on tune, but makes you sound somewhat robotic and puts weird quavers in the pitch. (A sound I hate.) Using autotune seems to me to be an admission that you really aren't up to the task of singing professionally.

Autotune?  So, something that changes the pitch between the mic and the output?  Cool for guys like me!  (I have witnesses from QZ)

Regarding Canadian Taxmans statement.....

"I was at a Chicago Black Hawks season opener vs. Detroit a few years ago. This was the year Bill Wirst (sp?) died. Some poor shmuch had drawn the short straw and had to come on the ice and talk about what a great man Bill was! He was royally booed off the ice! Talk about truly loyal fans!"

Bill Wirtz (?) the late owner of the Blackhawks was really despised and detested by many Hawk fans. He refused to televise the home games amongst other things. There was a Time (and still is  ..mostly) that if you didn't have season tickets to see the Detroit  Red Wings at home, you would only be able to see them on TV. My son lived in Chicago and we would go the the Hawks games when the Wings played in Chicago. The stadium was never filled and you could pick your seats. The new owner of the Blackhawks (The son) is completely different and he has opened his wallet for players and done a lot of fan friendly things (like televising home games) and they do get a lot of sellouts. My son was at the opening game game where they booed the memory of the late owner and he (the former owner) was booed more that the Hawk fans booed the red wings. ::)

In 2009 the DW & I attended the Maryland Symphony Orchestra's Salute to Independence Concert at Antietam National Battlefield.  Before they played the National Anthem, all veterans were invited to stand & be honored by the crowd.  The MC then announced that, due to a recent change in federal law, veterans were now allowed to salute during the National Anthem.  http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609    Even though I felt a little self-conscious saluting in civilian clothes I did it & I had goose bumps by the time it ended.   

As a member of the DAV, I learned about this law when it took effect. Been saluting at appropriate times, ever since. Good times....sad times.... Kinda drifts you back............ Didn't realize, back then, which times I might want to remember---forget.... Goose bumps, a tear now and then.

Ray D.

I hadn't realized there was a law passed, always considered the hand over heart vs. salute to be more tradition.  I will now salute.  Speaking of saluting, I think we need to coach non-veteran presidents.  The footage of when some salute is just so sloppy I wish my old DI from basic was in the face.

Our school is blessed with an excellent music department.

For home basketball games, they often invite one of the most talented students to sing the national anthem and she always does a nice job.

A year or two ago, the high school band played an armed forces medley at one of their concerts. Before they started, the director invited retired/former military audience members to stand when they heard the music from their branch - it was quite touching.

Veterans have been saluting for a long, long time....ever see the old WWII vets in the DAV hats saluting? Personally, I don't need a law to give me permission to saulte.

Wendy
US Army

I received an email from John Spiller with a good article about this fiasco. The link to the article is

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/08/the-national-anthem-isnt-a-pop-song/  Here's one excerpt from the article:

"Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification"

On point Jim!

And I would also add to sing it with a consistant tempo and pitch. Many in attendence (myself included) would like to sing along, but when the singer is "all over the place" it makes it difficult at best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom