HF ANTENNA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n0kec

I am a ham (amateur) radio operater. I am wanting to mount a HF screwdriver antenna on the roof of my Fleetwood Bounder. It will electricly raise and lower when parked. How do I find a suitable place to mount on the roof that will be secure for mounting? The motorhome in question is a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder, 36 ft.

n0kec

I have used a stud finder to find the crossmembers in the ceiling.  Then I bridge them with a plate for the active mount.

BTW, what mount are you using?  Tarheels makes a good one.

I would not mount a screwdriver on the roof.. It needs a good ground plane and the roof is a very poor one on most motor homes.  Rather try this.. Get a bicycle rack for your hitch,  Depending on what and how you tow a car or light truck will determine the specifics of the rack.

The upright on most of the "Hanging bike" hitch mounted racks (Those where the bicycle hangs by it's cross bar) is a 2" pipe. straight up and down.. Mounting a Ham antenna to that.. Very easy, and a good connection to the frame is a ground strap away.

John From Detroit said:
I would not mount a screwdriver on the roof.. It needs a good ground plane and the roof is a very poor one on most motor homes.  Rather try this.. Get a bicycle rack for your hitch,  Depending on what and how you tow a car or light truck will determine the specifics of the rack.

The upright on most of the "Hanging bike" hitch mounted racks (Those where the bicycle hangs by it's cross bar) is a 2" pipe. straight up and down.. Mounting a Ham antenna to that.. Very easy, and a good connection to the frame is a ground strap away.

At HF, the difference in height (perhaps six feet) will not much matter

Will there be enough room on the top of the MH for the lowered screw driver antenna?

Somewhere on the MJF site is an HF antenna device that is designed for a 20ish foot vertical to fold over at the mount while in transport and raise it vertically when stationary.    Trouble is MFJ don't have enough categories on their website to easily locate it and it's a pain searching.  I thought I had saved that link but I can't find it now.  <sigh>

Yes there willbe enough room for the top hat to lay down while traveling.  I am going to make my own folding mechanism.  I am pretty handy with a cutting torch and welder.  It will have an electric actuater with switch inside the rv.  I have built a mount already made that fits the 2 inch reciever. I have used it numerous trips in my pickup.  I want to make it lie down while traveling on the rv as I didn't want the wind load on it and also hitting trees and overpasses.

n0kec

I am using an actuator from Firgelli for raising my Shakespeare Marine multiband antenna.  It works and I liked the price.  I have a picture of the assembly but it is not mounted yet due to a number of factors especially winter!!

No, I don't have drawings for it - long story.  Short version, a masters student at the local U made it as part of his overall projects and kept all drawings.

Attachments

• P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Antenna Act 3.JPG
    Antenna Act 3.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 44
Attended the Orlando Hamfest yesterday, and checked out the class A antennas!  Should have taken photos.  Most verticles and screwdriver antennas I saw were mounted on the rear ladders, but some were on poles up front.  I had an idea to use a creation similar to the Tarheel servo motor (theirs is about $500).  For better mechanical support, I would use a wide aluminum plate mounted on top of the roof with the channel bolted on top of the plating.  Also saw an interesting telescoping channel system, mounted on the rear end next to the ladder.  With the screwdriver mounted on the inner channel, it slid vertically upwards then locked into place. 
Deen, W4ANR
Fulltimer Class A
Palmdale, FL

Back
Top Bottom