Mini-Rally? Or at least gettogether...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

Howard Rawley, Mary Ann and I got together starting about 10 this morning at our house in Westminster. We'd been exchanging emails on heating-related things, and then I found out he's staying at St. Vrain State Park, just 15-20 minutes north of here, so we arranged this meeting.

Coincidence is almost beyond what you'd think chance would do, but we are both pilots, former flight instructors, both into photography, and he used to live just up the street from us until he went almost full time in the RV, which is a Southwind, cousin to our Bounder.

So we had a very good visit, talking about RVs, aviation, piloting/teaching experiences (hangar flying, in other words), and many other things. After a while I got him on the flight simulator on my computer, and we had a good time with that program, and with refreshing a few of his piloting skills.

So although I'm not sure this quite qualifies as a mini-rally, it's at least reportable to the framily, and there are even pictures below to make it official (or as official as it can be). The first pic is the three of us with coffee and pastry, while the second one is Howard on the flight simulator. The hat has a device that controls viewing angle in the sim, so view changes are hands free.

Attachments

• Larry_MaryAnn_Howard.JPG
    Larry_MaryAnn_Howard.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Howard_FliteSim.JPG
    Howard_FliteSim.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 54
" I got him on the flight simulator on my computer, and we had a good time with that program, and with refreshing a few of his piloting skills."

Now that is a computer program I think my dad would like.  He used to be a private pilot some years ago and really enjoyed it.

Terier said:
Now that is a computer program I think my dad would like.  He used to be a private pilot some years ago and really enjoyed it.

The latest Microsoft Flight Simulator is really amazing with the realism of the planes and flights, including the controllers. I have used it extensively to stay sharp with instrument scans and positional awareness with different airplanes. I was amazed how close it simulated the speeds and characteristics of the 172 and Mooney that I had.

It's cheap at twice the price. Use a nice large monitor and turn up the sound!

FSX needs a moderately powerful machine. It can be quite good.

Now that is a computer program I think my dad would like.

There are two commercial flight sims out there that I know of, and one free (in both senses) one. Microsoft's Flight Simulator X (FSX) is the latest, but MS disbanded their group that developed it a year or so after it was released (it was released in late 2006). FS2004, the previous version, is still available and works better on older, less capable machines. The other commercial sim is X-Plane, with versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. The free one (released under the GPL, so free as in speech and as in beer) is Flight Gear, available from flightgear.org.

Larry N. said:
Howard Rawley, Mary Ann and I got together starting about 10 this morning at our house in Westminster.

Coincidence is almost beyond what you'd think chance would do, but we are both pilots, former flight instructors, both into photography, and he used to live just up the street from us until he went almost full time in the RV, which is a Southwind, cousin to our Bounder.

After a while I got him on the flight simulator on my computer, and we had a good time with that program, and with refreshing a few of his piloting skills.

Yes, had a very fine visit with Larry and Mary Ann .... also hard to believe the coincidence of background and location ... I'm not sure we could have done that if we'd tried! 

Larry has an outstanding set up with his fligh simulator ... he didn't tell me it had a cockpit camera though!    ;D
And yes, the flying skills needed some refreshing .... it had been a while ... hopefully the pile of rust under the cockpit chair cleaned up ok Larry!  :)

Thanks again Larry and Mary Ann!

Howard

Micro rally  ???  Methinks that Gary made that up  ;D

Whenever two or more forum members/families get together for an impromptu get-together and upload a photo or two to mark the occasion, we've always considered it a mini-rally.

Howard Rawley said:
And yes, the flying skills needed some refreshing .... it had been a while ... hopefully the pile of rust under the cockpit chair cleaned up ok Larry!  :)

Well, it clogged up the vacuum, but it's now cleaned up.  8) 8) 8):D ;D ;) ::) 8) 8) 8)

Whenever two or more forum members/families get together for an impromptu get-together and upload a photo or two to mark the occasion, we've always considered it a mini-rally.

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom