Is 1995 Jeep Wrangler Towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Dog

Hi all....

Thinking about making an offer on a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 4 wheel drive with a 6 speed manual transmission. I see on Remco that the 2 wheel drives with 6 speeds are not towable, but it really doesn't show one way or the other on the four wheel drives except for automatic transmissions. Does anyone know wether or not this is towable 4-down?

4WD ought to be towable with transfer case in neutral. My BIL had a couple older CJ's that were customized for offroad and often towed them to the offroad site without doing anything special.

Thanks Gary, that's what I thought...just the reference about not towing the 2 wheel drive 6 speed kind of made me a little more cautious. I would hate to go ahead and buy this only to find there was a problem about it being towed.

I think its the 2WD vs 4WD that makes the difference. Without the transfer case neutral, the "back end" of the transmission is being spun by the rear wheels as it is towed, and that creates the need for lubrication and cooling.

I tow a '94 Cherokee Sport (automatic) no problem.  Just make sure the x-fer case is in neutral.  If I remember I believe you are to tow manuals in a gear but I forget which.  The transfer case is the key.

Back
Top Bottom