atwood water heater 110v element location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imabaddman

I own a 92 Fleetwood Bounder class a motorhome with a atwood model no. G6A-6E-AA , 6.2 gallon water heater. Recently the electric element has stopped working and only will work with gas. The plug for this element is located inside the motorhome on the bathroom floor. I have looked online for a manual showing the location of this heating element with no luck. I took the cover off the water heater in the bathroom and and looked under a cardboard and insulation covering with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

I found this manual but, it's for later models and may not apply.  Look on page 6 - box 11 for 6 gal.  If this looks anything like your unit, the element appears to be accessible from the outside access panel under the cover that has a switch on it.

You should be able to follow the power cord for the electric heating element and see where it's attached to the tank.

The electric element is on the back side of an Atwood, opposite the gas burner and outer door. Should have been visible from the bathroom side. As Ned suggests, follow the power cord (though I'm surprised there is an actual plugged cord - they are usually hard-wired).

Our Atwood is plugged into an outlet that's controlled by a wall switch.

'92 is kinda old. in a bounder, original equipment may not have included an electric element in '92. it may have an after market ''hott rod'' or similar installed in the front drain hole. here is some info about this installation.

http://www.rverscorner.com/hott_rod.html

The model number, G6A-6E-AA, indicates it has an electric element built in.

Thanks for all the help. even though my model number indicates electric screw in element there is no place for it inside rv. Tore it all apart. It does however have the hott rodd kit installed in the drain hole on the lower left side of the heater outside. traced the 110v wires, disconnected them and ohmed the element out and it is bad.

imabaddman said:
Thanks for all the help. even though my model number indicates electric screw in element there is no place for it inside rv. Tore it all apart. It does however have the hott rodd kit installed in the drain hole on the lower left side of the heater outside. traced the 110v wires, disconnected them and ohmed the element out and it is bad.
did i understand that you can drain the water heater from outside the moho? that would be great and make it easier to flush the heater before you install a new element. crud in the bottom of the atwood could have caused the element to fail.
there is a small diameter hose you can purchase at rv stores that goes in the water heater drain hole and allows you flush the heater.
since you have it all apart, now would be a good time to replace the tp valve.
if you cannot drain the water heater from outside your moho, it is going to be a messy job flushing it.

Looking again at your model number, I see it is indeed gas only, G6A. It would have been GC6 if it was dual electric/gas. The AA in the model usually indicates electric heat element, but in this case it is in the wrong position, after the 6E revision code rather than immediately before it.

You can get a replacement Hot Rod heater element online. Here is one source:
http://www.adventurerv.net/hott-rod-replacement-probeanodeelement-gallon-water-heater-p-11525.html?osCsid=ir8ldk69iv8oekmbjh9i1bthe0

If the rest of the kit is shot, you can get the whole thing for $30 more:
http://www.adventurerv.net/hott-rod-electric-conversion-gallon-water-heaters-universal-p-1163.html?osCsid=ir8ldk69iv8oekmbjh9i1bthe0

Gary is correct, I misread my Atwood documentation regarding the 6E.  The E means electronic ignition, not electric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom