Exterior Caulking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

FrankNSharon

My next big project on our new 1983 HR Admiral is to reseal the roof and the seams around the outside. Attached are a couple snapshots of examples of the deterioration of the side seams. My thought on the roof was that I might not be able to do a good job on it and should get someone that knows what they are doing? Is that right, or could I do it myself? I used to restore bug-eye MGs for a hobby, so I have some abilities mechanically.

The sides I thought I could handle okay, the windshield looks like it could use being taken out and reinstalled, the seams look like I could take a wire wheel and clean off the old dry cracked caulking and replace with a new silicone caulk.

Also, on the sides, I was planning to redo the caulking before buffing the paint and waxing? Or should I do it the other way around?

Suggestions?

(edited: Could a moderator move this to the remodeling section for me? Sorry I did not think about that section when I wrote it - thanks)

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 98
Do the recaulking first - you don't want slippery wax on the surface you are caulking.

Looks to me as though the windshield sits in a rubber gasket and the caulk is around the frame that holds that gasket. No need to remove the windshield if that is the case, unless you want to remove everything.

I was thinking that rubber gasket is 30 years old and it might be best to be proactive and replace it now instead of when we are in a storm and it decides to start leaking.

Just a thought.  If the windshield is NOT leaking why not just leave it alone until you find out if it does leak.  So often my darling husband wants to "prevent" a problem by fixing something that isn't broken and it starts a chain of events that need either replacement or fixing.

"If it ain't broke...don't fix it"  ::)

Marsha~

Marsha,

True the adage of "if it ain't broke..." is very valid. And I am certainly guilty of causing more problems that necessary by "fixing" things that don't need it. If you look at the photo above you can see the rubber gasket on the windshield is pretty much rotted away. If for no other reason I would like it to look a bit better - :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom