rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: slideouts removing carpet  (Read 11009 times)

campgirl79

• ---
slideouts removing carpet
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »
We are replacing the carpet in older fifth wheel with vinyl tile squares.. my only concern is what to do with the slide out.. how hard is it to remove carpet and what to do with the edges on the slideout area... if anyone has pics that would be great.

Honest John

• ---
Re: slideouts removing carpet
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Here is an article about someone who installed wood flooring on a slider, there are some photos attached to the message.  I realize this is a bit different from your solution, but may give you some ideas. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=38151.msg354916#msg354916
36' 2015 Thor Motorhome
2005 Honda CRV toad

DAN L

• ---
  • VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON AND KAPOLEI, HAWAII
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
it was very difficult to get all the staples holding the carpet out under the slides on my moho. we missed some and some broke.
we put 8 spare allure planks on the floor before we retract the slides to prevent damage.
we should have done a better job of leveling the floor. we used filler on the low spots. high spots show through now.
allure is supposed to be a floating floor. we used double back tape around the stairwell and in other places that we did not want the floor to move. we used an air nailer to nail the edge moldings to the wall so the floor can float around the edges.
our allure has been in use for about 1 1/2 years as is holding up well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:34:17 PM by DAN L »
01 Winnebago 35U W20. member Good Sam, SKP. all fluids AMSOIL Syn. BANKS ecm prog. SCAN G. II w/Alli temp. 4 KONI fsd shocks. 2 LIFELINE gpl-6ct Batts on their sides. TST t.p. and temp mon. K&N panel air filter. PROG IND inline surge prot. silv star lights. STEHL dolly. dw CHERYL, 2 cat furkids.

campgirl79

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:12 AM »
The slide out was easy to get off but lots of staples.. we just left some of the carpet from other floor under there too tedious fo work to remove it all.. we did get lucky and there was a full sheet of vinyl flooring under kitchen and living area that was like new only couple scuffs. so we left it there instead of covering it.. and then used the cerimica tiles on slide out and bedroom.. removing carpet was rough b/c of all the staples.. 

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
we put 8 spare allure planks on the floor before we retract the slides to prevent damage.

I do not want to hijack this thread at all, but we have had some problems with our slide gouging our wood floors when it is retracted. How thick are those planks and does it create an alignment problem when your slide comes in and rolls up over them?
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Trailer Ranch RV Resort, Santa Fe, NM

DAN L

• ---
  • VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON AND KAPOLEI, HAWAII
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
I do not want to hijack this thread at all, but we have had some problems with our slide gouging our wood floors when it is retracted. How thick are those planks and does it create an alignment problem when your slide comes in and rolls up over them?

the allure planks are approx. 1/8'' thick. picture #141 shows the materials we used. there are no alignment problems with our slide.
camco has a product called ''slide out slickers'' i don't know how thick they are.
http://tweetys.com/slide-out-slickers---40-pair.aspx
01 Winnebago 35U W20. member Good Sam, SKP. all fluids AMSOIL Syn. BANKS ecm prog. SCAN G. II w/Alli temp. 4 KONI fsd shocks. 2 LIFELINE gpl-6ct Batts on their sides. TST t.p. and temp mon. K&N panel air filter. PROG IND inline surge prot. silv star lights. STEHL dolly. dw CHERYL, 2 cat furkids.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
Thanks, Dan!

"we will now return to our regularly scheduled posting which is in progress..."  8)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Trailer Ranch RV Resort, Santa Fe, NM