Newbee to USA daft questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=loddy]Mexico wasn't on my list of Countries  to visit[/quote]

Maybe not, but at least you could hop over the fence (or walk/run around or under it) without needing a passport or worrying about your length of stay. Countless thousands do it daily, then disappear into the population. If you get stopped or challenged, just say "si senor, I'm a gringo".

Sound interesting.
We are from the UK.
We bought the TT part of our rig from Bates RV, just up the I4 from Lazydays. No I don't reccomend them, then again I would find it difficult to reccomend any RV sales place, as  I have found very little to reccomend caravan dealers in UK.
There is some good advice about buying an RV on this forum, though a lot is out of date.
Try and clarify a 'price out of the gate', i.e. one which includes SalesTax, registration (tag plates), delivery, etc, then try and beat them down. We paid for ours mostly on Credit card, no problems (even got thousand of points on my Tesco card), but make sure that the CC company knows you are going to make a big transaction, it could be embarassing to have to re-activate your account mid way through buying the RV.

Once you have bought it stay on site (Lazydays) and try EVERYTHING out. If you can, give it a soak test, use that local car/truck wash (there is a truck stop just by Lazdays, I think it is a Raceway), and check very carefully for water ingress, though don't use the pressure washer direct on seams. Remember you will only get a one year bumper to bumper warrantee for a NEW vehicle (not like the 10 year guarantee against water ingress that UK caravans come with - go on you yanks drop your jaw, I really did say 10 year guarantee). Then make your first foray with the assumption that you will have to return it to Lazydays for a snagging list to be sorted, which may take from weeks to months to sort (yes I am a pessimist). Although most RV dealers are helpful they do not take kindly to solving other dealers warantee problems, so hightailing it out of the state may not be the best thing. (other RVers of greater experience please tell me I am wrong).

You may have residency sorted out, but if not plan that before you go (I can give more advice if necesary). If all else fails then the dealer will probably be able to smooth out all your registration problems, but don't leave it till you have bought it to get them to do it.

I found getting a visa a total pain (don't forget no mobile phone, and you can't leave it anywhere, unless you take someone with you to hold it outside. they won't hold it and you can't go in with it!!), take a good book with you, eat well before going in (some vending machines serve confectionary I seem to remember, but it isn't cheap).
If you want to stay out of UK for a year check you can get travel insurance that will extend that long (I would be interested if you find it). Not sure if now 'popping' across the border to Canada or Mexico counts - maybe bahamas or somewhere caribbean (suggest not Cuba).
Make sure you are not on any benefits - Job seekers, max 6 weeks a year. What was IB - 26 weeks in the previous 52. DLA - 26 weeks in any year. For the latter two if you want to stay longer you have to transfer residency to collect benefit (again I can supply more info).

Now, others please correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that if you use a boat - any boat(even a tender/canoe)  - you must register it with the State you are in! Then apply a reg. number in a particular way! Then if you want to use it in other states you must register it there.

TV is the least of your worries, unless you are addicted to it. There really is very little worth watching (everyone to their own though).If you are desperate to be entertained have a laptop, rent DVD's (Google RED BOX Video online - in most Walmarts, new movies, - $1.00 a DVD, return to an other Walmart down the road. Reserve on line) listen to PBS radio (Public Broadcast Service) for news. More useful is a mobile broadband airtime card. Verizon is the best coverage, but the most expensive. ($140 up front for the card, $80 a month for 5 gb), Walmart ($40p.m.? (runs of the back of Verizon network), or Virgin ($not sure) (runs off Sprint) may be the cheapest, but run off the back of other networks and may not get the bit rate of their prime network (no proof, just makes business sense).

I am concious that I am drifting into general topics and you have probably dropped off, however, if I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Don't be put off, lots of others have done it (haven't met many though). Be flexible, be persistent, enjoy the experience. We did it four years ago and we have had the time of our lives ever since then.

I disagree on the boat registration,, most states require the registration only if you will be using a motor on it. If powered by hand is not required.>>>Dan

Now, others please correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that if you use a boat - any boat(even a tender/canoe)  - you must register it with the State you are in! Then apply a reg. number in a particular way! Then if you want to use it in other states you must register it there.

Not exactly.    You must register a boat in a state that you operate in.    One exception is boats "documented" by the US Coast Guard need not be so registered.  Documenting is usually limited to large vessels.  Another exception is very small sailboats and oar/paddle driven boats -- check the state's regulations. 

If you have registerd in one state, you can use it on the waters of another state temporarily.  The time varies by state --  California  which has some 900 miles of coastline allows 120 days.

Traveling with a boat is not a problem, at least as far as vessel registrations are concerned. All states will honor a "visiting' vessel registered in another state. If you were going to stay more than a month in some one place, it might become an issue (unlikely), but RVers generally don't have that problem anyway.

Hi Loddy
we never had satellite in all our travels in the States and we are tv addicts
As for the wingard antenna it works fine in the UK picking up digital tv also when we shipped our A class over in 2005 i just changed the lnb on the dish and picked up SKY no problem on auto tracking so if you do end up with a dish it wont be a waste of money

Ian

Back
Top Bottom