Sticker shock: RV Roof Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

FrankNSharon

Well, I knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would be this soon - sigh - sticker shock on things with "RV" in the title.

Todays lesson in fleecing your customers is the price of roof vents - those little square plastic covers with a hinge and a 9 dollar fan built in. The entire assembly is injection molded, machine assembled and in the "real world" should cost between $25 and $50... My first search shows then running $100 to $300.

My 1983 HR Admiral has two and both of them have dried out cracking plastic - does anyone have a suggestion for a more realistic solution that $200? I am tempted just to seal off the holes and move on with my life!

Frank

Bought my last one's on eBay. Don't remember the price, but I can ASSURE YOU, it was closer to the $25-50 than the $100-300.

UNLESS - you're talking the Fantastic Vent fans....those start at over $100 and go up from there.

Are you looking to replace the whole fan assembly or just the covers?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=rv+vent+lids&cp=10&rls=ig&rlz=1W1RNTM_en&wrapid=tljp1297871747857022&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2520284347351687475&ei=SvNbTbXAIYjdgQfKz6iEDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAA#

Dar,

Thanks for the link, I do need both the top and the fan, so I had looked at complete assemblies. I googled it several different ways and came up with a half dozen locations - all showing complete assemblies at between $100 and $350 (for remote controlled units)...

Anyway, I guess I should not bother people here and just do more shopping...

FrankNSharon said:
Dar,

Thanks for the link, I do need both the top and the fan, so I had looked at complete assemblies. I googled it several different ways and came up with a half dozen locations - all showing complete assemblies at between $100 and $350 (for remote controlled units)...
At least from what I have seen, I believe that is the going rate for "remote controlled units". If someone here knows of a more specific place to acquire them at a lower cost then hopefully they will share.

The cheapest one I found with a quick look is in the range you mentioned; http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/fan-tastic-ceiling-fanvent-with-remote-control/6695

FrankNSharon said:
Anyway, I guess I should not bother people here and just do more shopping...

You shouldn't feel that you are bothering people, it never hurts to ask. Even when you get replies from people who seem as though you are bothering them, then those people should not bother to answer, we ignore them cause we all have bad days.  ;D . Sometimes people forget that this is suppose to be "The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing".

I to googled generic RV vents and found standard 14X14 12V fan vents with covers starting at $25.00 and up. (if you want all the whistles and bells its gonna cost you more.>>>Dan

ANOTHER SOURCE HERE
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/62466.htm
I know that you are not close, but Walt's has a pretty large supply of good used parts. Her is there info:
http://waltsrvsurplus.com/
Do come back and post, that's why we are here. :)
J

The issue is more "what you want" than "who has the cheapest vent". the Fantastic Vent and Maxxair vents are head and shoulders above what you now have, in terms of quality and air movement. Whether they are worth the extra $$ is your call.

I think you will find the upscale vents fans well worht the money.

Gary,

Thanks for the comment, as usual yours is very useful information.

The ones in there now are crap for sure - but being 28 years old they deserve a bit of respect I guess.

The non-remote units that cost $150 should be better, but still appear to me to be about 5 times more than they "should be". But as you say, it depends on what you want. I think I will end up either building my own (unlikely) or paying $300 for 2. I see them as very important to cut down on AC use, and we want to be able to boondock often and long. Air flow and noise levels are very important to me.

Thanks,

Frank

My MH has the typical cheapo vents you can get for $25 or so.  But, I added vent covers to all of them except for the bathroom & shower vents.  I can leave vents open in the hardest of rains or leave them open while driving.  With these covers, I believe the life expectancy of the vents will be greatly increased.

F&S
One thing you need to know, the Fantastic Vent brand, while costing more is really what it is called, Fantastic.  My suggestion is to replace the living area with one with the thermostat control.  Just buck up and pay the money, it is well worth it.  Plus, a real honest warranty.  I have had only one issue, but they unflinchinly replaced it.  If you are at a Rally and they are there, and you need somethng, they will send a tech.  If it is hot in the coach, open the window near you and turn it on exhaust, eliminates the need for A/C. 

The little 6" fan is OK as an exhaust in the bath, but for the living area, get one of these. 

Everyone,

thanks for your comment, I appologize if I was a little snippy - :)

PancakeBill, I appreciate your comment and will probably go with two of the Fantastic with 12 inch fans and a smaller one in the bathroom.

Frank

Frank, glad I could help.  You other comment on quiet is covered also, about half the db level vs the bathroom 6" fan.  There are other 'like' fans, Northern Aire is one, but never tried one, and not sure how well their warranty works. 

The Fantastic vents really move air but yes they cost $100-$200+.  The $25 dollar ones??? Buy a 14"x14" square of plexiglass for $3 and make a ski light out if it.  It will move just as much are.

Back
Top Bottom