A QUESTION ABOUT SPEAKEASY SPEEDTEST AND THE IP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy.
On http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest web page, you will see an IP address(shown under the time):
Your IP: xx.xxx.xx.xx.

I have purposely left out the actual numbers. Now, my question is, whose IP address is that?

?????
Liz

If the you or the ISP uses a proxy server, that will be the IP address of the proxy server.  This is the case when using satellite internet.

EKB said:
That would be either your IP address or the external IP address of your router if it is using NAT.
Thanks for your reply. I know is NOT the IP address of my PC. WHAT is NAT?

LIz

Ned said:
If the you or the ISP uses a proxy server, that will be the IP address of the proxy server.  This is the case when using satellite internet.

Thanks for the reply. I use a router, our network, and a modem to get online. Of course, I go through Verizon. This is an interesting puzzle. I need to track down the IP of my router to start.

Liz

NAT stands for Network Address Translation, it allows multiple devices to share a single IP address.  When you see an IP address like 192.168.0.100 you are seeing a NATted address.

Your router IP address is not configurable by you, it's assigned by VZW and may change from time to time.  There is no practical reason to know it other than curiosity.

Ned said:
Your router IP address is not configurable by you, it's assigned by VZW and may change from time to time.  There is no practical reason to know it other than curiosity.

Or unless you have people ftp'ing to or from your machine, or do multiplayer in Flight Simulator, or several other things. But for most people's uses you are correct.

Server applications like FTP are generally not allowed by the terms of service, but some MPGs do require a routable IP address.

Back
Top Bottom