Windshields: Split vs Full

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandGuy

It seems the more "economical" MH's have a split windshield and the more "luxury" MH's have a full windshield....is cost the only reason for the difference?

Simple answer is yes and no. In the Monaco lineup, single piece windshields were only available in their mid to high end coaches, but the line blurred over time.

While at a couple of Monaco factory service centers I talked with a number of folks who'd experienced i-piece windshields popping out. The fixes included replacement windshields, grinding fiberglass to make a better fit and, in extreme cases, replacing the entire front cap of a coach.

While comparing a Marathon Prevost conversion with a a Newall, I asked why the Marathon doesn't offer 1-piece windshields instead of their 2-piece with a wide divider. The answer was that the Marathon 2-piece provided better structural integrity. That might have been salesspeak, but it's consistent with my observations at Monaco service centers.

Nevertheless, I like the look and unobstructed view of 1-piece windshields.

Yes.  There is an aura (or snob appeal) that says you get a much better view with a one piece windshield. In practice, there is little, if any, difference, but most new motorhomes now come with one piece windshields. Just another piece of the amenity/price escalation that makes a typical motorhome a $240,000 product instead of a $150k product.

If a windshield is 45" high and 100" wide, does it really make much difference if there is a 1.5" bar down the center?

On a recent insurance quote on the phone, one of the questions was if you had a one or two piece windshield.

I asked and the sales lady said that the rate would be higher with a one piece. She didn't say how much.

I think a lot of it also has to do with design.  The mfgrs. want a more sleek look to what is basically a box and the one-piece windshield helps do that.  They tend to be shaped somewhat differently too.  I have say, I do like ours.

ArdraF

Gary RV Roamer said:
If a windshield is 45" high and 100" wide, does it really make much difference if there is a 1.5" bar down the center?

Absolutely! That bar is in all "on the road" photos ::) LOL

Now I am not the best photographer in the world for sure but that darn thing won't move out of my way and once you zoom in on something you have now amplified the bugs on the windshield :-[

We line the center divider of our 2-piece windshield to the right edge of the road, and that keeps us in our lane.

Slightly off-topic, but consider that you'll be the one cleaning that windshield from here on out.

Big is nice, but I never understood why some rigs have large windshields then when you go inside you find overhead cabinets, TVs, etc. extending down and obscuring part of the windshield.  All the glass behind the cabinets is unusable, and it just makes you have to reach up that much further when you wash it.

And notice that all of the over the road trucks have flat windshields.  That's for ease of cleaning.  If your windshield curves sharply around the corner of the rig, it takes a long time to effectively work a squeegee around that corner.  And if you don't want to use a long handled squeegee, the only other alternative is to drag out a ladder and get up there and scrub it.

As far as having a one vs. two piece windshield, my Intruder has a two piece.  If you look closely, each half of the glass was made by a different company.  I'm sure the previous owner appreciated only having to replace half of the windshield and not the whole thing.

I have a split window but love the single, but the structural integrity of the two piece is a good thing to have if designed well.  We took a flying turkey through the windshield of our suburban a few years ago, what a mess, and my wife was going around 40 mph, not sure of turkey speed, but it walked away! I can only imagine what would happen to a one piece BIG windshield, on a safety note if you loose the drivers side of a two piece the driver can be blinded or incapacitated, the copilot could assist, ever see a big jet with a one piece, nope, one side in tact is better then no side in tack!

I have to agree with the "in practice there is little if any difference in the view"

So long as the center line is not more than half (i'm not sure of the exact percentage) the distance eye to eye (Center of eye  to center of eye) it vanishes from view.

The big difference is this... Heaven forbid anything happen to that hunk of glass... Twice as big is at least 4x the price.. PLUS the stress on that bigger windscreen is greater as well.

Last spring we had damage to our windshield which the insurance company paid to replace. While it didn't take very long to replace the "half" windshield, I'm really, really glad they only had to take out half the windshield and not the whole dang thing.

Wendy
Lake Havasu City

Today I had the passengers side windshield replaced. It wasn't an insurance job so I had to foot the bill.  :-\

Today I was glad I have a split windshield  :eek:

I just had the drivers side on my Holiday Rambler replaced here in Apache Junction, Arizona. The price was $1100. I am sure the price for a full one piece would be in the $2200 to $3000 price range. Thanks but I will be happy with the two piece.

Bill

Gary RV Roamer said:
Do one piece windshields get less bugs? If so, I want one!!!
I don't think so,only difference I could see is with a two piece you get to clean them off the 11/2"strip as well as the windshield, and of course that strip is usually black and it does match the Love Bugs in Florida. And that is my Two cents worth on the subject. :) Alan

I was going to add what Tom already said. I can line the divider up with the edge of the road and my rig is in the center of my lane. It works for me. and when the dealer had to replace the right side before we bought the rig he said he was glad it was not a one piece windshield so I figured it must be a lot cheaper

Gary RV Roamer said:
Do one piece windshields get less bugs? If so, I want one!!!

Doubt it. But I wouldn't have to zoom to avoid the bar and therefore zoom in on all the bugs. I'll handle the bad photos over the cost to replace a one piece though.

Pros and cons to everything.

The techs at the service center were having a tough time replacing the 1-piece windshields. They were breaking some as they were installing them. OTOH when I had our driver's side replaced by a local shop last year, I asked the guys about replacing the 1-piece windshields, and they felt it was a technique issue. As one of the guys said "all we do all day long is install windshields".

Somewhat related and similiar to what Tom mentioned, The junction of the split support and the lower dash line up with the outer edge of normal width roads... I  also painted "hash marks" or  vertical lines about 2" long from the dash and window junction upward on the inside of the windshield... to mark where the center line should be when I'm driving (so I can easily tell the coach / wheels are 18" frpm center line) and also at the dash/window junction near the center window frame to clearly show where the outer road paint strip should be to have MH / tires 12" from that stripe.
Just helps having both guides there for absolute comfort.
Actually, the marks on the windshield for the center line are 5 - spaced 1" apart with the center one taller, then next ones out shortest, then the two outer ones mid height..
Keep the center line in that range and always know the MH tires are approx 18" plus/minus 6" away from center line..  Very easy to stay in that range on any width road, and to notice if you start to wander a bit..

Back
Top Bottom