A warning about full time insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok....my 2 cents.

State Farm, 35 yrs.  Paid all of my few claims, no problems.  Paid my daughters totaled car claim 6 yrs ago, no problem, but cancelled her for the DUI she got.  (She has not drank since then, :)  She can NEVER drive any of my cars with State Farm.

I also realize that the "honest & good" people ALWAYS pay....& carry the rest.....all our lives.

In an earlier accident, (not her fault), she had to get a lawyer to get her totaled car paid for by the other girls co.  That was Allstate.

In car business for many yrs, and have heard stories.  Other companies don't want to pay for your claim when their client is at fault.

One reason is there are so many crooks that intentionally cause accidents to get $$$$.

Police reports can really help.  All injuries &/or property damage over $750 here in Calif. are supposed to be reported.  These days, a minor thing can be over that amount.

I am gonna have to figure out what to do when I full time.

is anyone using aarp as a carrier, i want to do three cars ,mh.van, house &tailer. they informed me to start was 325.00 w/monthly payments of 127.00.is this good

We use Hartford/AARP bundled, we also have a 2M umbrella policy. Today, I called Hartford and since Estelle retired the 1st of Oct our monthly cost went down $30 on the house and $20 on her car. I'm glad I remembered to call them.

Rates are dependent on location of your home and the rates for the location and in the auto industry for where you've registered your vehicles. Take you quote and get get several on the exact same coverage.   

AARP's insurance program is through The Hartford and they have an excellent RV policy. Rates are competitive for most people and circumstances. We use them for car insurance, but get a slightly better deal on the motorhome thru National Interstates (though I haven't updated my rate comparison lately).

It is all but impossible to compare your rates with anybody else's. Too many variables in individual circumstances, vehicle price and category, location, etc. to make any meaningful judgement based on what others pay. You have to shop - get several quotes, and think carefully about the coverages you need. Just asking "how much to insure my RV" is not going to get consistent results.

But Mr300 c:

It is my understanding that StateFarm does not cover RVs.  Has this changed?

I keep hoping that USAA begins covering RVs.  This is the only company that we have had a wonderful claim service with but on our auto.

As for GEICO, we have not had a claim,nor have we with the former Progressive.  But I can say are rates have remained stable with GEICO and kept rising quickly with Progressive.

If I am gonna get screwed on claims, at least I am going with a company that does not raise rates LOL  :D

Smoky 

Smoky,
USAA advertises motorhome insurance - see https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insurance_motor_home. 

I see references to State Farm when people talk about their RV insurance, but don't see any place on their website to get a quote or info.

I am in the process with Farmers. They already have my home and two cars. The MH is the only thing left for them to pick up.

Smoky said:
It is my understanding that StateFarm does not cover RVs.  Has this changed?

We've had our RVs covered with State Farm for over 20 years. Even had a couple of claims that they paid with no quibbles whatsoever. We do also have our other vehicles insured with State Farm and have homeowners with them for 15 years. But they did cover our RV back when we were living in an apartment.

Wendy

I have Farmer's insurance on everything we have EXCEPT the motorhome.  When we were looking for motorhome insurance a while back, they told us they do not provide motorhome coverage; and to contact Foremost Insurance.

Marsha~

Marsha, that is what I originally thought.  There seems to be a lot of confusion on this on the forum. I am calling USAA to check that one out and will also call State Farm.  I am happy with GEICO, but after 3 years I think the time has come to once again get some competitive bids.  I suspect that State Farm will not cover a full timer.  I wonder also about USAA.  USAA has treated us well on auto insurance but when I called them last year they did not offer full timer motorcoach insurance.

Smoky

What is a HM?

And did you specifically ask about insurance for those that do NOT have a stick house but live full time in a motorocaoch?

Smoky

Claims???  :eek:

You can file claims against that mountain of insurance premiums we pay every  year? 

I thought insurance was a one way street, you pay pay pay and never get a thing in return no matter what happens to you. But some of you  are actually COLLECTING on claims?

I must look into this newfangled way of doing business. I had no idea insurance companies ever paid out on claims. I thought that was just another urban myth! :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the way...
USAA advertises RV insurance, but when you apply for it, they switch you over to Progressive, who gives USAA members a better rate. I know, I went that route, and was amazed at the wonderful quote they gave me which beat all the other quotes substantially.

But are you serious, that  if something happens I can file a claim and maybe even collect money???  WOW... and I thought it was all a big myth!  :p

We've been on a roll with insurance payouts lately, after 18 years without a dime in claims.  We collected $50k on my motorhome insurance two years ago after an accident.  And just collected $2480 on my homeowners policy last month, due to water damage from a leak. Had another $8600 home owners claim two years ago too, also a water damage problem (broken pipe flooded two rooms).

All in all, I would just as soon not had any reasons to collect!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom