A warning about full time insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
Well we are fulltimers so I guess State Farm is out for us.  Will look into USAA.  Thanks for the info!

Smoky

as I understood it , if you full time in the motorhome without a stick and brick home policy there is a limited number of insurance companies that will insure you.

I thought it was just Foremost and Progressive,....... We have AAA for rv towing but AAA said... "nope" to insuring us as fulltimers.

I went through USAA for my RV insurance and they farm it out to Progressive, but still they gave me a great rate. I've had 2 claims, neither of them involved an accident, and so far so good. I pay my insurance in one payment for the whole year. Saves money and it's one less thing for me to keep track of monthly.

The loss of tools... seems common place. I've read similar threads before, tools vanish and insurance doesn't pay. In all honesty, I can understand the insurance company wants proof of a break-in. Otherwise folks might just upgrade their junk as they saw fit by claiming it just vanished with the aliens that took it.

I am just super curious since you are a fulltimer, how and where your tools vanished. Were you in a campground or RV park or storage? Were you living in it at the time?

Most of my used old junk, I don't think anyone would want, but I do keep everything locked up tight and a thug would have to do some damage to be able to cart off my debris.  ???

I have lost a few tools over the years.. USUALLY because some stupid idiot left them on a campsite he was leaving.. No insurance claim there.  Just a trip to the hardware for a new ________.

DearMissMermaid said:
I am just super curious since you are a fulltimer, how and where your tools vanished. Were you in a campground or RV park or storage? Were you living in it at the time?
  As I believe this is a question for the OP, I would not wait up for response. :eek:  The OP is over 5 years old and has not been on in almost 4 years....lol ;D ;)

This may be a ridiculously inane question, but I honestly don't know the answer:  When I am reading "insurance" for a motorhome, does that mean coverage for the driving part (like any car insurance) or does it cover contents?  Or both?  I am still in the decision phase of do I or don't I want a motorhome, so truly I am confused.  It seems as though insurance for a fifth wheel or trailer would be in addition to the vehicle that tows it, but I am not sure.  What about those motorhomes that are actually driven (Class A, B, C)?  Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help to enlighten my novice brain!!

Any auto policy covers SOME contant, but you need to sit down with your agent and get IN WRITING with a signature attached exactly what is covered and what is not.. My insurance company ripped me off.. For (As it turns out) Less than a dollar, but they still ripped me off.... (Long story already told and I do not feel like typing again) but they wrote the RV policy as an Auto Policy, but when I tried to get them to sign a form, that's all they had to do sign a form, NO damages, Just one piece of paper, One envelope and one postage stamp.. They refused. Claimed the MOTOR home is not an Automobile... What??????

retiredcajunlady said:
This may be a ridiculously inane question, but I honestly don't know the answer:  When I am reading "insurance" for a motorhome, does that mean coverage for the driving part (like any car insurance) or does it cover contents?  Or both?  I am still in the decision phase of do I or don't I want a motorhome, so truly I am confused.  It seems as though insurance for a fifth wheel or trailer would be in addition to the vehicle that tows it, but I am not sure.  What about those motorhomes that are actually driven (Class A, B, C)?  Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help to enlighten my novice brain!!

The insurance issue for fulltime RV'ers, whether living in a Class A, B, C or a TT, is primarily one of getting contents and other coverage for those items that would normally be covered by a home owners policy in a sticks & bricks situation in addition to what's covered by standard automotive policies.

Unless they have changed, Geico is a miser when it comes to claims. Was rear ended twice while stopped at a light and another time at a stop sign. Geico paid for the first. ?They skimped on everything, claiming that was scratched before the accident etc. Next time it happened and Allstate paid. They replaced everything - no questions asked. That was about 35 years ago. Geico has not gotten a dime of my business since.

Is there any updated consensus on this topic? I just read the fine print on my policy, and realized we were grossly under insured, and they did not know we were full timers. Now we are shopping quotes. My biggest concern is all of the upgrades, repairs, and replacements we have made on the truck and rv over the past three years, including the $10,000 of a solar system we are having installed next week. Other big ticket items would include the upgraded transmission I put in the truck, the fifth wheel hitch, etc.

I am looking for a company that will insure, and understands full timers, and who will cover as much of the upgrades, repairs, and replacements we have installed as possible with the least amount of fuss. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest.

Is there any company that is above beyond the rest, or are they all pretty much the same? We have been talking to Geico, Progressive, and State Farm. Totally based on Super Bowl commercials.

Thanks

Contact Explorer RV, they sell full timer insurance.

Ned said:
Contact Explorer RV, they sell full timer insurance.

thank you. Their quotes seem higher than the others, do they make up for that with quality of coverage?

patagoniadave said:
thank you. Their quotes seem higher than the others, do they make up for that with quality of coverage?

Be sure that you compare the details.  We were insured by them for years and they always paid the claims, mostly for windshields.

Give Foremost a call. I have fulltimer coverage with agreed stated value, none of that blue book foolishness.

"I am just super curious since you are a fulltimer, how and where your tools vanished. Were you in a campground or RV park or storage? Were you living in it at the time? "

I haven't looked at this forum for a long time.  Anyway, our tools went missing when we were parked at a lot beside a bike trail.  We did not have a tow at that point so all our driving around was in the RV.  We were walking for only about an hour or so and when we returned every one of our storage doors were unlocked.  Yet only the tool boxes were missing, the entire tool box.  We've slowly managed to put our tool collection back together.  We also changed the locks on the camper storage doors so they now have unique keys.  Plus we cable lock the tool boxes in place.  And yes we know that works because we had a second attempt at the new tool boxes where they actually managed to jimmy the new door locks but they didn't get the tools or the boxes the second time.  :-\

I think I would move out of that park. Two burglary attempts, especially one serious enough to jimmy the locks, indicates to me it is a bad area and best avoided altogether.

As for insurance, one thing that RVers often overlook is the "Personal Property" provisions of their policy. That's the part that covers your clothing, computers, gear & tools, and also most things you added to the RV, even if physically attached. That includes hitches, accessories mounted on roof or sides, lawn furniture, etc. A typical policy will include maybe $2000 in coverage for Personal Property and that's a drop in the bucket if you have a major loss, e.g. fire or total wreck.

That big patio tv or $1500 solar system you added is very likely to be considered "personal property" if there is a loss.

Gary [RVer Emeritus] said:
I think I would move out of that park. Two burglary attempts, especially one serious enough to jimmy the locks, indicates to me it is a bad area and best avoided altogether.

As for insurance, one thing that RVers often overlook is the "Personal Property" provisions of their policy. That's the part that covers your clothing, computers, gear & tools, and also most things you added to the RV, even if physically attached. That includes hitches, accessories mounted on roof or sides, lawn furniture, etc. A typical policy will include maybe $2000 in coverage for Personal Property and that's a drop in the bucket if you have a major loss, e.g. fire or total wreck.

That big patio tv or $1500 solar system you added is very likely to be considered "personal property" if there is a loss.

^That^ and check the deductable on the personal property. It could be quite substantial if not specified to the agent what you desire.

None of my motorhome policies have had a deductible for personal property losses, but that is certainly a possibility. One of several reasons you can't just call up an agent as say "give me some insurance". You need to at least ask some questions about what is covered and for how much, and what deductibles & exclusions might apply.

We were told that like with our motorcycles, USAA insures motorhomes through Progressive.  You pay USAA but your insurance is actually with Progressive....for what its worth

Back
Top Bottom