Question about Shuttle Launch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheila1947

Since we are in Florida, we thought it would be fun to try and see the shuttle launch.  Does anyone have any good advice about where we could camp near enough to see the launch?  We have a 37ft class as with a tow dolly.

Thanks,
Sheila

There are many campgrounds in the area. As far as seeing it from the campground, Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral is a pretty good location. Manatee Hammock in the Titusville area is probably pretty good as well but both are south of KSC.

The best place to watch it would be on the Indian River in Titusville. There are several public areas where it can be viewed. You will be about 12 miles from the launch pad but, with a good pair of binoculars, you can see everything that happens.

You can go to the causeway and watch from there.  That is one of the best places to watch.  It will be crowded with only a couple of launches left.  Leave the RV at the park and drive to the causeway.  There are usually plenty of vendors there for food and such.  Get there early and plan to stay late.  Traffic is crazy around that time.

This is a good site for info.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html

All good advice.  I would advise against viewing from the NASA visitors center.  We thought we had really hit the jackpot when we got tickets for the STS131 launch in April but were very disappointed with the viewing and had to be there 5 hrs before launch since they close the roads for security.  Live and learn I guess.

Rick

I've worked for NASA for 10 years and have yet to see a launch live.  I think I'll try to make it down there for the last one.  That one will be very busy.

I've watched it from the visitors center and also in town from the Dogs r Us parking lot. We went in and had a good dinner a couple beers and went out 10 min before the launch. That was an evening launch and quite a site when it's dark. From the visitors center you are much closer, plus they have a lot of other activities going on. Another good activity is a rocket launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station if there is one while you are in the area. You can go up close to the main gate which is past the cruise terminals. They have a fairly good viewing area, but they don't let people in.
This shot is from the visitors center. That flag pole is behind the large screen they have set up and off to the left. the launch site is about 5 mi from there.

Attachments

• DSC_0012-11.jpg
    DSC_0012-11.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 37
Also, note that they delay the launches all the time, so you might not want to schedule other activities on the day of the launch.

I'm in a campground with a great view of the launch,  send me a message and I will explain details.  There are two or so spots left.  ;D

I can confirm that you can see clearly from Manatee Hammock Campground (can't actually see launch pad, but it clears the trees quite quickly, as you can imagine). Guests can watch from the waterfront there.
Only advice I can add is to get there a couple of days before and visit the Space Center. Take the 'Up Close and Personal' bus trip. If you go before the launch the bus goes right past the Shuttle being prepared for take off! We only found that out after the launch.

I agree the KSC Visitor's center is not the best place to view a launch unless you have VIP tickets. Also, the tour does not go right by the launching pad but there is a tower where you can see the pad. If the cover is over the shuttle you won't see too much.

Dearmissmermaid,

You must be close to us since we are in Titusville! If you would like to get together, send me a PM. We are usually quite busy but can find time for a coffee or whatever.

You are right -all things are  relative.
I hope I have attached a pic I took in 2007 - how close do you want to be?

Attachments

• shuttle launch small.jpg
    shuttle launch small.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 36
fastrak100 said:
You are right -all things are  relative.
I hope I have attached a pic I took in 2007 - how close do you want to be?

Good shot fastrak... we took the same tour a couple of years ago and loved it.  Our guide was great and told stories of what the environment around the pad is like when things start happening.  He's also a long time verteran of NASA and told great stories about Saturn V launches.

That looks like a photo of an empty crawler though.  I'm not sure that same tour gets that close when a bird is on the pad just a couple of days from launch though.

Rick

Thanks for all the great information.  We have been to Port Canaveral many times and have toured the facilities there.  This trip would be just to see the launch.

Sheila

Rick,

The tour today does not take you to the launch pads. They built a tower where you can climb up and view the pads from a distance. Attached is a photo I took in 2009 with a 135mm lens on a digital camera. That's over 200mm on a 35mm camera. You also will not be able to watch the launch from that location.

There is a viewing area further out on the causeway but I'm not sure how you obtain tickets to get out there. We were out there for the Blue Angels air show a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.CR2.jpg
    IMG_0286.CR2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 20
Jim,

I think the PIO at NASA KSC or possibly one of the contractors would be the source of a causeway pass.  Years ago I got mine though the Rockwell office as an ex-employee.

They were very hard to get at that time so who knows now.  Can't hurt to try though!

Manatee Hammock has no vacancies.  I PM'd Miss Mermaid, so if you see this please contact me ASAP.

Is anyone else at a campground with a vacancy??????

Thanks
Sheila

Here's some pics of me on the LP.

Attachments

• 255LP.JPG
    255LP.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 18
  • LPDoor.JPG
    LPDoor.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 17
Been a few changes since I was there for the Enterprise fit checks way back when.  I've even forgot the year, mid to late 70s in April and early May.  Left and hit love bugs on my way to the airport.

Jim,

I would expect all those passes are gone by now since there are only three launches left to go. We worked one launch with the Navy League where Pat & I were assigned to the Saturn V building. Two minutes before the launch they let us go. As we were walking towards the door to view the launch it was scrubbed. :mad: :mad: Never got another chance that close.

Many changes were made after 9/11 but they modified them later. That's when they built the tower to view the launch pads. I remember being able to drive right up to the pad before 9/11.

Sheila1947 said:
Manatee Hammock has no vacancies.  I PM'd Miss Mermaid, so if you see this please contact me ASAP.

Is anyone else at a campground with a vacancy??????

Thanks
Sheila

You can try The Great Outdoors in Titusville. Check this site:

http://www.tgoresort.com/

It will fill up quickly. There's also Seasons in the Sun and a KOA in Mims, FL.

Back
Top Bottom