Class A - Best candidate for remodel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am planning on purchasing an RV in the next few months if all goes as planned.  With my budget ($50-$60k) and desired size (38'+ and diesel) I figure I will be purchasing an RV that is 10-15 years old and pretty dated.  I would rather buy a slightly older or slightly uglier RV and have one with a better chassis, engine, structure, etc. and then invest in bringing it up to date.

What would be my best bet as far as brand/model for a remodel.  I'd like something that after receiving new flooring, maybe cabinets/countertops and exterior paint will look like a fairly recent RV and something I will be proud to live in.  Ideas / suggestions?

I happen to know several that have done what you want to do.  All of them bought 1999 to 2002 Newmars.  Solid basic construction, wood cabinets and corian counters.  2002 may be out of your price range but look and you might find one.

Tiffin, Monaco, Country Coach, Fleetwood and others are also good.

Here is a good source for possible candidates being sold by private parties.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RVsForSale/

I'm happy with my 96 Rexhall Aerbus.  Steel frame and fiberglass roof, unlike the wood and rubber you find in fleetwood.  I do plan a fairly large remodel of the bedroom (replace king bed with double and a desk).  I would have prefered a V10 to the 460 V8, but didn't find anything I liked in my price range.

Winnebago is a good candidate because:

They keep molds for fiberglass and plastic parts such as caps, tanks, shower surrounds, fender wells, and so forth.
Wood trim pieces, cabinet doors, and many other items  are available.
Plumbing diagrams, wiring diagrams, sealant charts , and paint charts are available on-line and can be downloaded
Parts catalog tied to your VIN can be downloaded.

There is a dealer - Lichtsinn Motors - a couple of miles from the factory that you can order parts through. I have ordered a number of items from them over the years and they are knowledgeable and have provided very good service.
Their web site is HERE.

Some Winnebago support sites are HERE and HERE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom