NATURAL REMEDIES FOR BREAKING UP CHEST CONGESTION?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily. What are some natural methods for breaking up chest congestion? I can hear popping, whistling and wheezing when I breathe.

Thanks, Liz

Steam. Make a tent over a tea pot or kettle. [From Estelle.] She also said, "Burn some mullen and in hale it, if you can find it. Check with googl but mullen might be the ssame as lambs ear. Dried of course.

Then, something I rediscovered two years ago is Vicks Vapor Rub. It's not only good for the chest but you can put ssome in the boiling water.

Musterole always helped too. 

Liz, have you gone to the doctor to see if you have pneumonia?  Might be a good idea....

Bob, haven't heard of musterole since I was a kid!  ::)

ArdraF

Remember mustard plasters as a kid?  I really hated those things!

Liz - If it doesn't get better, please check with a doctor.  Pneumonia can sneak up on you.

Margi

Margi

My favorite....hot french onion soup.  May not make the congestion better, but I feel better anyway. ;)  I eat it with my head tipped over the bowl so I inhale the steam/fragrance.

Howdy, Framily.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. One thing that I did try today was steeping thyme in very hot water and inhaling the vapors. It helped!!! I got that idea from Jayne.

I forgot about Vicks!! Geeze, used to use that when I was a kid!!  I'll ask Jack to get a jar tomorrow.

I have been drinking honey and tea, as hot as possible. That has helped too.

My neighbors have told me that a number of our residents have this crud, too.

Thanks again,
Liz

While out in the boonies in Japan with the crud, I found on more than one occasion that the best recipe was oudon noodle soup. It worked every time.

Jackliz said:
I forgot about Vicks!! Geeze, used to use that when I was a kid!!  I'll ask Jack to get a jar tomorrow.
I suspect you'll be disappointed.  They've toned down the formula so it is nothing like the old Vicks that used to burn your chest when mom rubbed it on.  It still works, but not quite the way it did.

Another proven one we often use:  pick up a box of Zatarain's Gumbo Mix.  You don't even have to add the andouille to make it work.  I think it's the filet in the gumbo mix that is the magic potion.  (I still want you to check with a doctor, though.)

Margi

Estelle told me to pass on that she also uses oregano in a spray form for sinuses and that it also is in a capsul form called oregoresp for respiratory problems.

Liz, dear lady, please take that chest congestion to a doctor.    Maybe it is just a cold or a bit of allergy, but at our ages pneumonia, broncitis, and asthma are not to be trifled with. 

Liz,

February 2010 I struggled with exactly the same problem you have and for 3 weeks tried to cure it the "natural" way. To make a long story short, I ended in the hospital with pneumonia. Sometimes one just has to except the fact that you can do only so much on your own. BTW....it took me months to get over all of that, it was not worth the procrastination.

Mariekie

I use Mucinex.  Helps to clear the lungs and make a productive cough.

When raising our kids back in the 60's and 70's, a doctor nicely chastised me for using Vicks on the kids chests.  Said the only good it did was make the Vick's people rich.....  FWIW 

Daisy

Daisy said:
When raising our kids back in the 60's and 70's, a doctor nicely chastised me for using Vicks on the kids chests.  Said the only good it did was make the Vick's people rich.....  FWIW 

Daisy
Don't know why he would say that.  The fact that it was on our chests had little to do with it, but the vapors we breathed that rose from it did.

Daisy said:

Daisy

Interesting, my pulmonologist recommended it for me to use when I get more congested than usual.  He said it would help my normal medications and possibly avoid complications like bronchitis etc.  Because of my lung problems I take a number of both prescription and herbal medications to avoid problems and Vicks is now one more tool I use.

Back
Top Bottom