cost of gas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

Recently the cost of gas is on an up hill trend with no end in sight.  When I bought my MH gas was selling for around $2.50 a gallon.  Prior to that it had reached over $4.00 a gallon.  I was wondering what RVers are doing now and will do in the future when gas continues to go up in price?  In the past did people just park their RVs, or just "bite the bullet" and pay the price?  I am hopeful that gas will go down in price like it did in the past, but who knows?

It?s approaching $0.50 per mile and I by nature don?t like to waste money but we?re all in the same boat. I guess like a lot of folks I will reduce the extent of my traveling and stay longer at certain destinations. Then I think of the amount of money sunk into my beast and wonder what percent fuel is in overall cost.  I also think of taking an amount, say $1000, and coming home when it?s gone. Then I get real upset thinking of all the time and money spent already and the thing has been sitting from last September until at least May eating and eating with little joy for the costS.  :'(

The price of fuel makes it difficult, but we still hope and expect to travel some. It won't be as far as when fuel was cheaper, but we still expect to get around.

If ya get 7.5 MPG and fuel prices change $1.00 up or down that adds about $400 to every 3000 miles you travel. I know $400 is $400 but for me that is not enough to stop RV'ing. What I would have a tendency to do with rising costs, is sit in certain areas longer. Over the years we have found it a lot nicer to sit longer in that we tend to me more good folks.

We've been trying to make our trips to the dunes longer. Instead of going twice a month and staying for 2-3 days, we go once a month and stay 4-5 days.

Travel the same just closer to home. Me and the DW were talking the other day about how we have never been to certain places right here where we live. Maybe the time is right to see some of the local sights....HaHa I can't stand Miami. We will travel though.

I'll keep trying to get deals like the one I have now.  My friend owns a machine shop in Santa Cruz, CA.  He's paying for our gas for the whole trip--from Ocala, FL to Santa Cruz and back to Ocala, plus $25.00 per hour to help him remodel his master bathroom in his home and to do some maintenance work in his shop.  We are also parked in his shop parking lot with full hookups for the 6 weeks---for free.  Such a deal!!!! ;D ::)

The cost of gas is reflective of everything in the economy.  So lets say you said "that's it, gas is too expensive!, we are going to hotel it"  The hotel room will also be more expensive, and the food, and the golf courses, etc... There is no way around it.  My advice is if the gas $ is bugging you, then instead of driving to 3 destinations, choose one and sit longer.  Or bring the (in-laws) with you to pitch in for gas.  Or what about not eating out as often to compensate?  Fuel in Canada, is currently 1.16 per litre - which equals 5.27 per gallon!!!

The U.S. has cheap gas as far as I am concerned - and that is why we can enjoy a little more travelling for our dollars south of the border.
Plus we have really grown a liking for the areas we visit during spring break.

Which brings up another issue - does anyone know if there are any more fuel efficient RV engines (hybrid or electric) coming up?

JAy

It is a bit scary that gas has been $3/gallon and up all winter... I shudder to think what prices are in store for us this summer.

Purposeful budgeting is one item that will help out this summer.  We have a vacation budget that money goes into every month, so even over these non-traveling winter months I'm still saving up for summer traveling.  I also use "points" programs that I participate in, to cash in for gas cards.  That helps.  This year as it so happens, I may be taking a new job which will limit my vacation time (and thus our RV trips) this summer... so I may get an accidental reprieve there from the gas prices.  ;)

All things said, high(er) fuel prices alone are not enough to make us stop RVing.  We might do it differently or take shorter trips, but there's almost no purpose in having an RV at all if it's going to sit unused all season.

I know you guys are talking about gas, but we bought diesel in Scottsdale for $3.29 6 days ago. On our way back thru yesterday (friday)we stopped at the same station to top off again, the price was $3.69 now AND they were out of diesel. The next 4 stations we stopped at were also out of diesel. The last one said they thought they'd get a diesel delivery on Sunday. (Circle K, 94th & W Olive, Peoria)

So, if you think the price increases are bad, they'll just cut off the supply and sell it to the highest bidder.

Personally I feel the cost of oil and all other raw commodities will increase with only "road bumps" like the 2008 recession/depression to slow down the increase.  In my opinion this is because of the global increase in midde class with their demand for vehicles, better housing and more protein in their food.

The only way of stopping this is better education in the poorer countries which results in better birth control, sanitation and the need for fewer children for manual labour.  But that's a long ways off.

Diesel in Bc in November was 1.23 per liter  X4 =$4.92 per gal us
4 L = 1.05668 gal(US Liq)
We will be coming back to Arazona next winter for the  sunshine and warm temps. ....... priceless

Funny thing, figure the increase in the cost of the trip.  Earlier example was $00 for 3000 mile trip.  Essentially across the country.  R/T would be an additional $800.  For a roundtrip xcountry trip you are looking forward to, would it really stop you from going?  Then think about it.  You don't go.  However, we missed the trip, let's treat urselves to a movie and dinner.  themn a couple extra rounds of golf, cuz you didn't take the trip.  That adds up.  Of course, since we don't take the trip, may as well get that new carpet for the family room.  After all, we didn't take the trip.

Human nature.  I offer you this, take the trip, just skip some restaurant nights and enjoy cooking some new recipes.

I have a friend who's uncle drilled for oil and hit it. Our great Government capped the well for a reserve well. He hit it but they will not let his sell it. Theirs a dirt road leading to the land where its at , the EPA find  him because oil got on the ground at one time about 500 gallons a small spill. the county he lives in uses a OIL based gravel mix to keep the dust down on the dirt road leading to the well. Go figure

Price of fuel.  I don't see it going down soon. 

I plan to take my 10,500 mile trip this summer because I'm not getting any younger.  A few years from now may be too late to enjoy the coach.

Not to get into a big political debate but..

A big problem, in the US, is refineries.  As I understand it the oil companies can build 3 refineries overseas quicker than they can get through the red tape here in the US to build one. Another issue is oil reserves. One party wants billions of barrels stuffed away and another party is more liberal and feels we don't need as many. Who is right I don't know but I am not sure we have to worry about a major world war like we used to 50 years ago. If they would free up some of the reserves our prices would go down.

Lets see...... I have a $ 180,000 motorhome sitting at my house. I have one of 2 choices. The motorhome can sit or I can drive the motorhome. The price increase of fuel hurts, but when compared to the total cost of traveling in a motorhome and the enjoyment of that travel, I will chose to travel. We may all be better off if most of us drove less and spent more time "camping" and really getting to know the area we are visiting. Until then, see you on the road!

tallyo said:
Not to get into a big political debate but..

A big problem, in the US, is refineries. 

Scott,

2 of the big oil companes are in the process of establishing new refinery's, Canada, and expanding one in the US, Billings MT.  They are in the process of moving HUGE pieces of equipment for them through the northwest to the various locations.  3 won't do much to help, but it is a start.

Now to get the environmentalistas to allow more drilling in the US.  ND is moving ahead and there is some pressure in MT to do the same.  We'll just have to see what happens.  ::)

Back
Top Bottom