cost of gas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must say the rise in prices is disturbing.. Fortunately for me I got a new job and don't have to commute as much, but it is getting out of control.. I think we should all switch to ethanol!

classysarah82 said:
I must say the rise in prices is disturbing.. Fortunately for me I got a new job and don't have to commute as much, but it is getting out of control.. I think we should all switch to ethanol!
To burn or drink?  Either way, that will just drive up the cost of corn flakes.

Molaker,
Not having second thoughts are you, Frank?

Not at all - we are having a blast remodeling the HR, it is liberating to know that I can do anything I want to it and not worry about depreciation - lol...

It is actually starting to look good enough that we are considering a paint job, which would probably cost about as much as it is worth...

Frank

classysarah82 said:
I think we should all switch to ethanol!
Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline/diesel.    It requires significant amounts of diesel to produce. It's being subsidized by governments to appease the Green peacers.  And it's driving up the price of food.

And in the USA it's mostly produced with corn as a feedstock.  Only because they are the group that is able to lobby the US govt the best.  Other feedstocks, such as switchgrass, are twice as efficient at producing ethanol.

Finally one of the fertilizers components used in the production of corn is 100x more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2.

Tony,
Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline/diesel.    It requires significant amounts of diesel to produce. It's being subsidized by governments to appease the Green peacers.  And it's driving up the price of food

Right on all accounts except the greenies... I am a greenie and I can assure you we HATE ethanol - at least the ones that think about it. The Governments are paying the Ethanol consortiums (subsidizing) and that results in driving up the cost of food (land planted for fuel and not food) and giving the pubic a false sense of economy. Ethonal has a very bad total energy cycle - the total amount of energy from getting the fuel, processing the fuel, delivering the fuel, storing the fuel, using the fuel etc. etc. point of view. Even electric cars suck for now - we need some energy source that is as packed with energy per "gallon" as gas (there are no others), easy to get and produce, and easy to distribute and store. So far, NOTHING competes with gas - but until gas gets above $4.00/gal and stays there, no one is going to bother to do the research and development to come up with a replacement.

Frank

Tony_Alberta said:
Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline/diesel.    It requires significant amounts of diesel to produce. It's being subsidized by governments to appease the Green peacers.  And it's driving up the price of food.

And in the USA it's mostly produced with corn as a feedstock.  Only because they are the group that is able to lobby the US govt the best.  Other feedstocks, such as switchgrass, are twice as efficient at producing ethanol.

Finally one of the fertilizers components used in the production of corn is 100x more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2.
Ethanol from corn is not a good solution I agree. The EROEI is very low (energy returned over energy invested)... However, cellolusic ethanol is potentially a very effective solution. Thats ethanol from many waste materials, like rural waste (dead trees, vegetation, and plants, etc). Also there are ways to turn human garbage into ethanol. Corn is not the solution for sure, but dead vegetation and waste from landfills, well that sounds like a good idea to me!

Anything that returns a profit while reducing landfills is a good idea.

there is not such thing of reserve oil; not body can't tellyou how much oil we have under ground let's dig,dig,dig,dig chao 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom