Poly Tarps - Adhesive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I made up one of the conduit framed storage 'tents' for bike storage etc, for our long stays.  Made up the tops and sides pretty easily, but the ends?  Basically need to form the peak, I can cut to size, but should make a hem for it.  Don't have industrial sewing machine with us, figure a fold over and adhesive.  Duct tape never seems to work on this material, plus it would make it look worse than one of these already look.  I had heard carpet double sided tape, and it sounds like a good idea, but anyone have another suggestion? 

Many dry cleaners offer sewing as one of their services. I bet you could find a professional with a professional sewing machine that would do a nice job for a small fee.

There's that "As Seen on TV!" super glue for all materials. Bev used it for her last project, decorating her pinl baseball cap. Someone else is wearing it now. I've heard that there's a elec glue gun that does good work too. It wouldn't be hard to find multiple uses and a small space for either.

There are many liquid stick products out there, Most will do what you want.. They work surprisingly well.

Also most of the poly tarps I've seen you do not really need a heavy duty machine to sew them.. Now canvas tarps you do, but rip stop nylon or poly is easier to sew.

I'd recommend hemming with a heavy cord in the hem to give it strength - like many tarps use.  This should help an adhesive by restricting movement somewhat.  Plus, if you wanted to add grommets or some other means to tie down or fasten, the cord will provide a lot more support.

There are tapes made for tarps - I think Harbor Freight is one source. It seems to be glorified duct tape, but I've used it and it holds up in outside use much better than duct tape. The heavy duty "100 mile per hour" tape does fairly well too.

http://tarprepairtape.com/
http://www.cofair.com/butylhurricanetarptape.aspx

I've heard that Gorilla Tape may work, but have no experience to say yea or nay.

Not sure about using a liquid adhesive, set time and all that.  I am hoping for a double sided.  I planned on the cord in the hem.  I suppose the machine we have would handle it, not sure if it would handle the gauge thread though. 

I'll check the links, thanks. 

Added:  http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=546&bc=G_DSTT&gclid=CIXWgvjDlacCFQUDbAod0nuApw&setscreen=1&width=1136&height=0

Found this, just what I need.  Pricey, but not too bad. 

Checked Amazon, same size, different color, (double-sided will be hidden anyway!), for 2/3 the price with free shipping.  On the way.

Just a little different search term, popped right up.  Nashua 68004 is the tape. 

I have to tailor the tarp I use for a boat cover - make a new one every 4-5 years. I just lap the seams and use single sided tarp tape on the two edges, top and bottom.  Seems to work pretty well

Gary, you cut, then fold over, tape it on both sides?  So one side is reinforcement?  Other side is mending it over?  Last night I ordered the double faced tape and a grommet kit. 

Yesterday I saw that it would take a pretty good snow load!  I gave it a little push from below to unload it before the new snow today.

They have special made tape for <a href="http://www.tarpsplus.com">Tarps</a>, it's called tarp tape...i would look into that before going to a dry cleaners they can be pretty pricey, this will probably run you no more than 15 bucks :)

When the stitching in my Slide Topper Awning  gave out I took the Awning Cover to a local shoe repair and had hems re-sewn (double stitch) with water repellent thread normally used for shoe repair.  Did the job and was quite reasonable.

For my original question, I did receive the tape, they either sent the wrong stuff OR I misread the description.  I used the tape as a tape over the seam, working just fine.  Actually still need to do one more. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom