Jayco 5th wheel leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevens

Hello,

I have a 2005 Jayco 5th wheel with bunk beds in the back. I have 2 children under 3 and 2  large dogs that have put a hurting on the existing carpet. So that set the scenario for the reason to remove the carpet and replace with vinyl. In doing so I have revealed a leak in the right rear corner of the floor close to the slideout. I also have a wet floor in the back of the camper near the refrigerator and floor air duct. I have left the slider out and it is on uneven ground- I know now not the smartest thing for me to do.
I have looked all over and cannot see anywhere that it has leaked from the roof. I have searched ceiings, corners and do not see any discloration anywhere. There is simply 2 different wet areas in the subfloor.

I need to identify and fix before I put new vinyl flooring in. Any and all help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

It is easy to make wrong guesses.  You have to methodically look over all the possibilities.  I had a leak over the top of my slideout, and because the slideout roof sagged just a tad, the water pooled there.  But it could just have easily run down to the end of the slide and then leak onto the floor.  So for that spot, I would be looking all over the slide sealing situation.  Could be a bad gasket, could be leaking inside the outer siding trim, could be leaking at the roofline.  Mine was leaking behind the gutter, and then the gasket was bad too.

As to the other spot, start at the top and work your way down.  Roof seams, vents and other roof penetrations are the most likely culprits.  The rear roof seam is problematic, especially at the corners.  Water can run down inside the wall to the floor and show up there.  Also windows can leak.  Awning mounts are pretty poorly sealed, too.  If you are lucky, it will be a window.  They are very easy to remove and re-putty tape. Piece of cake.

Basically I have repaired 6 different leaks on my fiver.  Both upper rear corners, the slideout thing, a roof edge leak, an awning mount, and seepage through a screw or screws of the awning track in one small area.  3 of the 6 were bad enough long enough that I had to take things apart and repair the wood framing.  Hopefully you are not at that stage.

I will begin investigating the areas you have suggested. I think that the slider leak is mainly due to the slider being open and the slope is towards the camper.

Fortunately the subfloor is still in great condition- so I don't think this has been going on long. The one in the middle of the floor still has me puzzled. I have found no discoloration on the walls or the ceiling. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

One easy way is take to dealer and have them take a pressure test.  All other methods are hit miss and guess!

Back
Top Bottom