What is recommended cleaner for old dicor lap seal before applying a new bead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eeaton1

I've searched but may have missed the answer from several sites including this one.  I want to apply a light new bead to some areas that look suspicious; my desire is to be more safe than sorry later.  The Dicor tube and Dicor website both say to clean the old caulk but never say with what??!!??  Do other experienced hands have a recommended cleaner that I should use??  I only plan on cleaning the old seam before applying the new so have no intention to remove any old in the maintenance task.  Thx.

Any solvent will work.  I usually use paint thinner since it won't damage anything next to the caulk area.  Cleaning removes the dirt the caulk collected since it was last put on.  It also softens the old stuff too.  Not much solvent is needed.  Disposable rubber gloves keep your hands clean during the whole process.  Paint thinner also fixes any boo boos that may happen during your caulking process.

Bob Flight said:
Any solvent will work.  I usually use paint thinner since it won't damage anything next to the caulk area.  Cleaning removes the dirt the caulk collected since it was last put on.  It also softens the old stuff too.  Not much solvent is needed.  Disposable rubber gloves keep your hands clean during the whole process.  Paint thinner also fixes any boo boos that may happen during your caulking process.
And don't forget to mention that ANY petroleum product will damage the rubber roof membrane.  So IMHO DO NOT use anything like that on or even near the roof

In my opinion, the business  about petroleum products and rubber roofs needs to be taken with a few grains of salt. Don't pour it on, but it is ok to use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to clean up seams or errant beads of adhesive. I wouldn't use it unless really necessary, but if a detergent and brush aren't doing the job, then wiping the caulk seams with some mineral spirits on a rag is an OK thing.  Yeah, I know Dicor would say "OMG!!! DON'T DO IT!", but they aren't offering any reasonable alternatives either.

I think the most importand part is to remove all loose caulking and as much as can be removed. The integrity of what you put on is only as good as what is under it.>>>Dan

I'd agree with Gary about the cleaning. Depending on where the lap seal is being used, I'd also consider using Eternabond tape. Use this in the appropriate location and never worry about the seal again.  See:  http://www.eternabond.com/

I've used paint thinner to clean old caulk off of the rubber, such as when removong & resealing a roof vent.  Damp clothes work the best.  Turning the cloth often cleans the fastest.  Use too much paint thinner & the rubber may detach from its glue and the roof.  After thngs dry out, they seem to reattach.  Too much is more than a dripping wet cloth.  Too much paint thinner absorbed into the rubber causes it to swell and soften.  When it dries out, it appears to return to its normal state without damage.

Check this site for what Dicor has to say about cleaning the surface of lap seal
http://www.dicor.com/resources/PDF/Roofing/Brite-Ply_&_Tek_Care_&_Mnt.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom